Question Changed boot setting to UEFI can’t boot anymore

Oct 11, 2023
I made the very unfortunate error in changing my BIOS boot options to UEFI without having the proper UEFI storage set up and now (obviously) my computer won't boot, I can still enter my BIOS at least. I had changed the secure(?) boot setting from “Other OS” to “UEFI”. I have since changed it back, but with no luck. Is there a way to do this without reformatting anything?

I have also taken out the CMOS battery for maybe an hour, I’m going to try and leave it out for longer and also unplug my machine in the meantime.

I’m freakin out. All help muchly appreciated!

Edit: parts

Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core
Asus PRIME Z490-A ATX LGA1200
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 CL17
And a 1000W PSU

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023
Show screenshots.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Show, what you changed in BIOS.
Show error, you're getting, when trying to boot.

List full specs of your system.
Just got off the phone with microcenter, they advised I reseat my RAM. Which I tried and must have messed up or something somehow because now it won’t even get to BIOS with an orange light on my MOBO. Otherwise I would. Will update if I can get anything back up and running

Oct 11, 2023
I too have experienced this issue before. Have you enabled secure boot, if there was an option for it?
I’m not sure if I did or not, what I do remember now is that I changed in the boot setting was OS type to “Windows UEFI mode” from “Other OS”. The “Secure Boot state” option was greyed out so I couldn’t change it anyway, but I believe it was disabled

Plicker19

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
I’m not sure if I did or not, what I do remember now is that I changed in the boot setting was OS type to “Windows UEFI mode” from “Other OS”. The “Secure Boot state” option was greyed out so I couldn’t change it anyway, but I believe it was disabled
Hmm, usually when secure boot is greyed out, it indicates that UEFI is enabled with BIOS/CSM compatibility, meaning that it will not be exactly compatible with a standard GPT disk that is looking to boot with a UEFI native BIOS. Is there a "native" UEFI option in your BIOS setup menu?

Oct 11, 2023
Hmm, usually when secure boot is greyed out, it indicates that UEFI is enabled with BIOS/CSM compatibility, meaning that it will not be exactly compatible with a standard GPT disk that is looking to boot with a UEFI native BIOS. Is there a "native" UEFI option in your BIOS setup menu?
I’d love to check but my PC is currently not getting to BIOS, there’s an orange light on my mobo, after regrettingly trying to reseat my RAM

Oct 11, 2023
Thank God a green light, let me find out now.

Reactions: Plicker19
Oct 11, 2023
My bad, I thought you were still able to access your BIOS. What is the brand of your motherboard?
So a quick look into BIOS using the search function and “native” only brings back:

PCI Express Native Power Management=Disabled
And
AMI Native NVMe Driver Support=Enabled

Also my “Secure Boot State” = User

Oct 11, 2023
Perhaps different companies use different terminology... what BIOS boot options are present? (i.e. legacy, uefi, hybrid, etc.)
The only two options are,
“Other OS”
“Windows UEFI mode”

Of which the former was my original setting when everything was still working. It’s back on that setting right now as well.

Oct 11, 2023
As SkyNetRising asked before, what are the error messages that appear when you try and boot from each BIOS mode?

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors.

File: \Windows'system32\config\system

Error code: Oxc000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for Startup Settings

Plicker19

Reputable
Mar 22, 2019
Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors.

File: \Windows'system32\config\system

Error code: Oxc000000f

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again

Press F8 for Startup Settings
Ok, are you able to enter Startup Settings and select "command prompt" after selecting "advanced?"

Latest posts