Question Changed GPU now my Network Adapter is FUBAR.

shayne

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Hi... I have a MSI Tomahawk B450 Max cahnged the GPU from a AMD 6700 XT to a XFX 7900 XTX. Everything worked until I changed the GPU.. It seems my Network Adapter has been affected.
I have got assistance from Microsoft, but they couln't fix it. I had aVPN but it has been remove for now. I've pretty much everything to reset it.. My bios is up to date. I'm pretty ****[Mod edit - removed mild profanity.] sure I was very careful when installing the GPU and haven't or didn't damage anything.

So... my questions are, Would the 7900 XTX affect the network adaper on the motherboard because of the PCI slot ?
annnnd... where the ****[Mod edit - removed mild profanity.] is the network adapter card on the motherboard ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model Network Adapter?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

Look in Reliability History/Monitor for any error codes, warnings, or informational events related to the network adapter or networking in general.

Especially any such entries that started to appear after the GPU change.

Is your problem the device does not exist at all or it just performs badly.

If you look in the device manager can you even see the device.

Just going to a different video card should not make any difference. If this had been a board that never had a video card or you used a different slot them maybe but even then it is unlikely there is any PCIE lane dependency.

In theory you could have cracked some trace on the motherboard but that to very unlikely.

I would try a linux USB boot image. Most these have drivers for common network chipset and should treat your video card as a gernic display. If it also does work then you likely have a hardware issue. If it works I would wipe and reinstall windows. It is not uncommon for vpn software to really mess up your network even after it is uninstalled.