[SOLVED] Changed my processor now it's rebooting in games

Oct 29, 2020
Hey guys, I use my computer for games and work. I wanted to upgrade the processor to improve some activities and games, used to have an i5 2310, decided to upgrade for an E3 1240 v2. I know it's an old machine,but money is really short and it's the best I could get. However I've been having a problem, the machine is running all the benchmarks and stress tests ok and without any problems so far, but if I try to play games it reboot without any warning and stuck in a bios screen, then I have to unplug from the socket for it to start again without the bios screen. I've tried to play Warzone and Total War Troy and this happened. It was rebooting in 3 minutes, then I thought it was a driver issue and formated the computer from the scratch, all drives new. Now I can play for like 15-20 minutes before it reebots. Do you guys know what may be causing this reboot issue, any idea how can I fix it?

My computer specs is: E3 1240 V2 GA B75M D3H, GTX 960 G1 gaming 4gb, 12 gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram (2x corsair 4gb / 1x kingston 4gb), Corsair 430w, Fujitsu SSD 500gb, It was running fine with i5 2310, just weak for games, this is running better but it reboots! Thanks!

Solution
Hey guys, I use my computer for games and work. I wanted to upgrade the processor to improve some activities and games, used to have an i5 2310, decided to upgrade for an E3 1240 v2. I know it's an old machine,but money is really short and it's the best I could get. However I've been having a problem, the machine is running all the benchmarks and stress tests ok and without any problems so far, but if I try to play games it reboot without any warning and stuck in a bios screen, then I have to unplug from the socket for it to start again without the bios screen. I've tried to play Warzone and Total War Troy and this happened. It was rebooting in 3 minutes, then I thought it was a driver issue and formated the computer from the...
Hey guys, I use my computer for games and work. I wanted to upgrade the processor to improve some activities and games, used to have an i5 2310, decided to upgrade for an E3 1240 v2. I know it's an old machine,but money is really short and it's the best I could get. However I've been having a problem, the machine is running all the benchmarks and stress tests ok and without any problems so far, but if I try to play games it reboot without any warning and stuck in a bios screen, then I have to unplug from the socket for it to start again without the bios screen. I've tried to play Warzone and Total War Troy and this happened. It was rebooting in 3 minutes, then I thought it was a driver issue and formated the computer from the scratch, all drives new. Now I can play for like 15-20 minutes before it reebots. Do you guys know what may be causing this reboot issue, any idea how can I fix it?

My computer specs is: E3 1240 V2 GA B75M D3H, GTX 960 G1 gaming 4gb, 12 gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram (2x corsair 4gb / 1x kingston 4gb), Corsair 430w, Fujitsu SSD 500gb, It was running fine with i5 2310, just weak for games, this is running better but it reboots! Thanks!
Is your bios up to date, did you clear your bios fully by unplugging the psu, pulling the bios battery on the mobo, and holding the power button on the case for 30s x2 times, then reseating the battery, plugging psu back in, and booting system.
1.) Clear your bios before attempting bios update.

Solution

What Bios version ? For your new Xeon E3-1240v2 you need version F6.
For your old i5-2310 you needed only version F4.
So, on which version are you now ?
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

The latest version is F15
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020
What Bios version ? For your new Xeon E3-1240v2 you need version F6.
For your old i5-2310 you needed only version F4.
So, on which version are you now ?
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

The latest version is F15
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B75M-D3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
my Mobo is REV 1.0, GA B75M D3H, it has the F15 bios from 2013, I've update in the past to run the GTX 960. I don't know what's messing with the games and making this pc reboot, maybe I could reinstall the BIOS? Do you think this would help?

Oct 29, 2020
Is your bios up to date, did you clear your bios fully by unplugging the psu, pulling the bios battery on the mobo, and holding the power button on the case for 30s x2 times, then reseating the battery, plugging psu back in, and booting system.
1.) Clear your bios before attempting bios update.
My bios update is the latest F15, however I'm going to try this method you said.
I will definitely try unplug the battery to reset the Mobo, thanks for the tip, I will also remove all the components and cables, clean the contacts and put it back on. I will try out an Ram test to be sure, going to use 2x 4gb in one channel to see if it's the problem then going to check out more combinations.