Apr 24, 2019
System specs:
i9 9900k
ASUS Rog Maximus Hero XI
Corsair vengeange 4 x 8gb 3200mhz XMP2
MSI RTX 2080ti Gaming X Trio
PSU EVGA Supernova G3 750w

Context:
Got my parts 2 weeks ago, installed it , absolutely no issue, than all of the sudden few days ago my pc won't post with CC/55 error. Tried the usual suspects, reseated CPU checked for bent pins, reseated cooler, reseated ram, etc .. nothing

Until I checked stick by stick of ram until found out that one of them got busted. pulled the busted one out along with its pair, and kept the 2 good ones (works, no problem)

My question: During the heat of the moment when i was switching out rams, at some point i forgot to switch off the PSU and the LEDs were on on my mobo (bright lighting conditions just didn't realised) but the PC was turned off. So with the mobo lit and psu on i switched 2 sticks of ram and pulled out GPU and re-inserted.

Could I have done any subtle damage to components by doing so? Its working now but i can't get a peace of mind with this.
Is there any electical flow to the ram or gpu when PC is turned off but leds are on on the mobo?

Thanks in advance,
Razvan

Feb 26, 2019
Whenever I do anything especially adding or removing hardware I always switch off the PSU and unplug it, then hit/hold the power button to cycle out any remaining power. So I wouldn't rule that out as being a cause to possibly damaging hardware. Watch the static too.

Apr 24, 2019
Whenever I do anything especially adding or removing hardware I always switch off the PSU and unplug it, then hit/hold the power button to cycle out any remaining power. So I wouldn't rule that out as being a cause to possibly damaging hardware. Watch the static too.
I usually do that and take all precautions, just wondering what can happen in my scenario and if the ram and gpu carry any voltage when pc is turned off but leds are on, on the mother board and how likely a short circuit is

Reactions: Leetyx

KKMasterYT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
If the motherboard is off, it won't provide any power and if it did, there would be something that stops the flow of electricity to the components and your case is the DIMM slot. Maybe something happened, maybe not. But if everything works fine, then your computer is fine. Would recommend you to check if all of your components are working fine manually eg. performance, temperatures, etc... (is pointless to do but would help to identify further damages)

EDIT: did you check the ram stick before you inserted it? Was it fine like new before you inserted it? It may be a manufacturing defect. Thats possible anyways. Did you try another ram stick on the same slot where you had put the one that was damaged? Did it take any damages too?

Apr 24, 2019
If the motherboard is off, it won't provide any power and if it did, there would be something that stops the flow of electricity to the components and your case is the DIMM slot. Maybe something happened, maybe not. But if everything works fine, then your computer is fine. Would recommend you to check if all of your components are working fine manually eg. performance, temperatures, etc... (is pointless to do but would help to identify further damages)

EDIT: did you check the ram stick before you inserted it? Was it fine like new before you inserted it? It may be a manufacturing defect. Thats possible anyways. Did you try another ram stick on the same slot where you had put the one that was damaged? Did it take any damages too?
I removed all the sticks and tried all the combinations to determine if its either the stick or the slot, thats how i found out that one of them was busted, after that tried them on a different computer, same results. Asked for a RMA and bought a new set of ram because i couldnt waste time until i got a replacement back, everything works now, as you said just have to check voltages and temps for an extended period of time to see if anything is off. Just had a small heart attack when i noticed i was swapping parts and forgot to switch off the mobo and LED's where 'rainbowing' about

Apr 24, 2019
The defective stick has/had no visible defects (i always check them thoroughly when unboxing new components, one time whilst unboxing a brand new gigabyte z170 board, found dried blood droplets on the board lol), it worked fine for 2 weeks, and one day, poof

Last edited by a moderator:

KKMasterYT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
The defective stick has/had no visible defects (i always check them thoroughly when unboxing new components, one time whilst unboxing a brand new gigabyte z170 board, found dried blood droplets on the board lol), it worked fine for 2 weeks, and one day, poof
Okay, glad your problem is solved and it is detected that the RAM is the culprit. If you have any problems again in the same RAM slot in the future, I would consider looking over your motherboard..! But as now this is solved, please mark an answer to close this thread

Reactions: Razvangabriels91