Changing between sata ports

Jonathan_32

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
I recently got a new video card that needs a lot of space, so I have to change the Hard drive with the OS to a different port. Will there be any issues with this? If it doesn't start what should I do?
This is simple but hey Im new here, thanks!

Generally it's not an issue. If it doesn't boot, you need to go into your BIOS settings and change the boot sequence to look for the new SATA port first. (Better BIOSes let you choose the boot sequence by device, regardless of which SATA port it's plugged into.) Although the worst BIOSes I've seen won't even auto-detect drives in the ports, and you need to manually enable the new port (and disable the old port).

The only possible issue would be if your boot device is a SSD, and it's an approx 2010-2011 era motherboard. Right around Sandy Bridge was when we transitioned from SATA 2 to SATA 3. A lot of the motherboards from that era had two SATA 3 ports, and four SATA 2 ports. If you're using a SSD you want it plugged into the SATA 3 port. Moving it to a SATA 2 port, while not devastating, does reduce performance. The SATA ports are usually color-coded if you have mixed speed ports. (HDDs are slow enough it won't matter which type of port you plug them into.)

Jonathan_32

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Not sure about the difference of the ports you mentioned... This is the motherboard in question:

INTEL DH57DD
A1iFlewXLML._SL1500_.jpg

B167r4IKWqS._SL1500_.jpg

And the HD is Samsung hd154ui ata
What do you think??