Changing Computer to open NAT?

LeonelFreak

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
So in a few games like call of duty modern warfare 2 the NAT time is set on STRICT apparently and you aren't really able to find games. Does anybody know how to change a NAT type? I've tried to look around and haven't been able to find much of anything. maybe im just typing it on google wrong but i have an AT&T U-verse 3801HGV router. connected through Ethernet if that's needed. and is there even a bad thing to just changing it to open? because when i was looking for my box i came across others and theirs looked so easy to do and its just super annoying as to why for my box its been such a struggle to find. would be very helpful!!

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Changing NAT type from "strict" to "open" usually involves forwarding specific ports through your router/gateway. Forwarding ports to a game console is not normally considered a security risk.

The UPnP settings on the router and game console normally take care of forwarding ports automatically, but if you need or want to do it yourself, you may want to start with this website, which usually provides good instructions for specific routers:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/2wire/3801HGV/

LeonelFreak

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

i'll give it a shot lol. just sadly i found out that my modem doesnt have upnp? which i hear would make my life 10x easier. but i'll give the portforwarding this a shot. ive done it a few times on other games, shouldnt be so hard on this. will come back with results after i set it up and restart my pc to make sure it worked.

LeonelFreak

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

tried it and its still strict. did everything on the website for the game and nothings changed sadly.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

You may need to allow the application (game) through your computer's firewall. Assuming you're running Windows, it should be relatively easy to do this.

If that doesn't work, there may not be much more that you can do other than contact your ISP for support (unpleasant as that may be).

LeonelFreak

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

do you mean from my windows firewal or my virus protector firewall(trend micro)? because on my windows firewal i checked and it was fine.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

If you are using a third party firewall, then you should turn windows firewall off.

Change the settings on the Trend Micro to allow your program through the firewall.
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/home/pages/technical-support/1059964.aspx

Solution