Changing disk D doesnt load up windows, even windows is on disk C

sonyzz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
So i want to change 1TB d disk to 2TB harddrive i took out 1tb hdd replaced it with 2tb hdd and turned on pc to discover on windows, but to my surprise computer is only saying "reboot and select proper boot device" even windows 10 are stored on ssd which is drive c, and i selected boot device 0 - samsung ssd, same problem - put 1tb hdd back, working again.So i cant change 1tb d disk to 2tb hdd? or i need to select other hdd as d disk, then swap the 2tb in and then change back so 2tb will be d disk?

Solution
USAFRet is correct, the system partition is the 1tb hdd, its where the boot loader is, so without it PC won't boot.

I would remove all the other drives and try running the link I showed you as it should create the necessary files on the ssd. It always pays to remove any extra drives when installing 10 as it likes to share itself around otherwise.

USAFRet

Titan
OK...so what has happened is, the OS was installed with the SSD and the 1TB both connected.
Windows often/usually puts the boot partition on the second drive. In this case, the 1TB.

Remove that drive and no boot for you.

With the system running with the SSD and the 1TB connected, please show us a screencap of the Disk Management window to verify this.

USAFRet

Titan

Probably.
But it is better to have an actual clear indication of what is actually going on, rather than to suggest some 'fixes' that may speak to something that is not the actual issue.

This probably is the issue, but I'd rather know, than to rely on probably.

sonyzz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Here you go screeshot drive C is Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD, Drive D - WD Blue 1TB, Drive E - WD Green 3TB, Drive F - WD Blue 6TB

Colif

Win 11 Master
USAFRet is correct, the system partition is the 1tb hdd, its where the boot loader is, so without it PC won't boot.

I would remove all the other drives and try running the link I showed you as it should create the necessary files on the ssd. It always pays to remove any extra drives when installing 10 as it likes to share itself around otherwise.

Solution