Changing drive letters - question

peter

I want to chnage the drive letters of my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives prior to
re-partitioning my HDD. I haven't attempted to do it yet but started going
through the motions in Device Manager.
A warning comes up that malfunctions may occur if I continue.... what sort
of problems might arise doing this?

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.

Use Disk Management to do this.
Start>Run>(type) diskmgmt.msc>Right Click the drive>Change Drive Letter

--
Good Day
River_Rat

"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
I want to chnage the drive letters of my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives prior to
re-partitioning my HDD. I haven't attempted to do it yet but started going
through the motions in Device Manager.
A warning comes up that malfunctions may occur if I continue.... what sort
of problems might arise doing this?

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
XP Home SP2.
P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.

peter

Thanks, I know that. What's this warning that comes up that the drive may
not function afterwards?

--
"River_Rat" <youknow@Iwillslapyou> wrote in message
> Use Disk Management to do this.
> Start>Run>(type) diskmgmt.msc>Right Click the drive>Change Drive Letter
>
> --
> Good Day
> River_Rat
>

> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> I want to chnage the drive letters of my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives prior to
> re-partitioning my HDD. I haven't attempted to do it yet but started
> going
> through the motions in Device Manager.
> A warning comes up that malfunctions may occur if I continue.... what
> sort
> of problems might arise doing this?
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.

peter

...er correction, I meant programs may not function afterwards.

--
> Thanks, I know that. What's this warning that comes up that the drive may
> not function afterwards?
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "River_Rat" <youknow@Iwillslapyou> wrote in message
>> Use Disk Management to do this.
>> Start>Run>(type) diskmgmt.msc>Right Click the drive>Change Drive Letter
>>
>> --
>> Good Day
>> River_Rat
>>

>> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>> I want to chnage the drive letters of my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives prior
>> re-partitioning my HDD. I haven't attempted to do it yet but started
>> going
>> through the motions in Device Manager.
>> A warning comes up that malfunctions may occur if I continue.... what
>> sort
>> of problems might arise doing this?
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.

That is a standard warning, I have changed mine several times with no
problem.
What programs do you have installed on your ROM drives.

--

...er correction, I meant programs may not function afterwards.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
XP Home SP2.
P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> Thanks, I know that. What's this warning that comes up that the drive may
> not function afterwards?
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "River_Rat" <youknow@Iwillslapyou> wrote in message
>> Use Disk Management to do this.
>> Start>Run>(type) diskmgmt.msc>Right Click the drive>Change Drive Letter
>>
>> --
>> Good Day
>> River_Rat
>>

>> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>> I want to chnage the drive letters of my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives prior
>> re-partitioning my HDD. I haven't attempted to do it yet but started
>> going
>> through the motions in Device Manager.
>> A warning comes up that malfunctions may occur if I continue.... what
>> sort
>> of problems might arise doing this?
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 Dual HT @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HD, 1.0gb DDR.

peter

No programs per se, I thought that maybe there would be a drivers problem or
something similar.