[SOLVED] Changing Dynamic (windows) Volume to Basic

whitenack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
Hey guys,

I somehow screwed up and have a system storage drive that I managed to create as a Dynamic volume. I have a SSD boot/system drive and a larger, HD storage drive. This storage drive is what is dynamic. I am trying to get it switched back to basic but I am being blocked because (I think) windows is using it as the storage drive for things like Pictures, Documents, etc. I have switched back all (I think) of those types of folders to the system drive, but I am still unable to switch the drive back to basic or even format the drive. Can someone help?

Solution
Hey guys,

I somehow screwed up and have a system storage drive that I managed to create as a Dynamic volume. I have a SSD boot/system drive and a larger, HD storage drive. This storage drive is what is dynamic. I am trying to get it switched back to basic but I am being blocked because (I think) windows is using it as the storage drive for things like Pictures, Documents, etc. I have switched back all (I think) of those types of folders to the system drive, but I am still unable to switch the drive back to basic or even format the drive. Can someone help?
A basic disk can converted to a dynamic disk using the Windows disk management tool. However, the only way Windows disk management can convert a dynamic disk to basic is...
Hey guys,

A basic disk can converted to a dynamic disk using the Windows disk management tool. However, the only way Windows disk management can convert a dynamic disk to basic is by deleting all partitions and data on it.

If you want to keep the data on it, you will need a 3rd party app, such as MiniTool Partition Wizard or EaseUS Partition Master.

Solution