Question Changing Internal WIFI Card on my Acer Aspire 5733z-4851

Feb 10, 2019
I have a question about upgrading the internal wifi card on my laptop. Right now it has an Atheros 2.4GHz wifi card with a single black wire attached. Is it possible to update this to a dual band wifi card so I can get the system running wifi at 5G instead of just 2G? I know I can just add a USB wireless dongle but would rather have it internal. The system is only USB 2.0 so I'm not sure if adding an external 5G device would help.

Feb 10, 2019
Ok, I understand that but you really didn't answer the original question. Can this system be internally upgraded to a dual band adapter card? Would the system recognize the new card or would it need to be reconfigured?

Feb 10, 2019
Ok, after doing some research I've found that some laptop vendors such as HP, IBM and Dell use what is called a BIOS "whitelist" that limits the types of peripherals that can be installed on their systems. Others, like MSI and Acer apparently don't use these white lists so I found and ordered an Intel 7260 mini wifi dual band card with bluetooth capability and an antenna set for about $35.00. I'm going to try this and see if it works.