Question Changing local ipv4 address without setting DNS to manual

kingdrastic1

Honorable
Feb 15, 2016
Hi, i am trying to change the local ip address ipv4 the one starting with 192.168.1.xxx, however when i go to network properties as soon as i click manual and change it, i notice the dns settings below turn to manual and you can't change it to automatic.

I want to change the local ip v4 address (last digit) but i want the dns to be automatically fetched. How do i do this? windows doesn't let you change the ipv4 local without setting a manual dns address.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, i am trying to change the local ip address ipv4 the one starting with 192.168.1.xxx, however when i go to network properties as soon as i click manual and change it, i notice the dns settings below turn to manual and you can't change it to automatic.

I want to change the local ip v4 address (last digit) but i want the dns to be automatically fetched. How do i do this? windows doesn't let you change the ipv4 local without setting a manual dns address.
Just manually duplicate the DNS from DHCP values.
If you disable DHCP, and put a static IP address, the PC won't request anything. I don't think there is a way to DHCP query for DNS but not IP address.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've not seen a way to do that either. when the pc contacts the dhcp server it gets the ip, default gateway info and dns info from it. turn of dhcp and go manual and it won;t ask for nor get any of the info.

just write down what is there when it is set to auto and then re-enter it once it is set to manual. won't take but a moment to do

kingdrastic1

Honorable
Feb 15, 2016
Just manually duplicate the DNS from DHCP values.
If you disable DHCP, and put a static IP address, the PC won't request anything. I don't think there is a way to DHCP query for DNS but not IP address.

That won't work for me. I have a portable browser running a proxy so i can't simply get it to do that. So there's no way to do this? thats pretty trash for windows

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's not windows but rather how networking is designed. blame the folks in the 60's and 70's that designed most of what we use and how it works!!

you either get it all from dhcp or you get nothing from dhcp. it's just the way it is designed.

kingdrastic1

Honorable
Feb 15, 2016
that's not windows but rather how networking is designed. blame the folks in the 60's and 70's that designed most of what we use and how it works!!

you either get it all from dhcp or you get nothing from dhcp. it's just the way it is designed.
I tried your method yesterday. Used a site to find out my dns ip and then manually inputted that. It's extremely slow and doesn't work 90% of the time. But if it's automatic it works fine.