changing motherboard, do i have to re-install windows?

chromenut

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
currently i have Asus m5a97 r2.0, and im going to get Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 soon, both have 950 southbridge chipset tho.

so the question is, would i have to re-install windows after swap?

It can be hit or miss. Of the last four mobo swaps I've done in the last couple of months, I've had to reinstall twice. Most people take for granted that a reinstall is going to be necessary. I haven't run into this issue, but I've read that sometimes even if it will boot into Windows you can run into software issues.

I think it depends on how closely the mobos are related. The swaps I did without fresh install similar to what chromenut is contemplating, namely going from a Hero VI to a VII. I changed out many components at the same time (CPU, RAM, some of the drives), but I didn't have any issues. Same thing for a Gene swap. The other two were changing brands and socket families.

chromenut

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
im changing only the mobo, the only difference between these 2 motherboards are 990fx ( 970 current ) northbridge chipset, 6+2+2 vrm (4+2 current)

and the ability to run 2x pcie2.0 16x gpu's

other than that, they are pretty much the same

Only one way to find out:) Are you concerned about reinstalling an OEM Windows OS, and the possibility that you might have to buy a new one?