Changing out HDD to SSD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I have a Dell XPS 630i desktop from 2008 and would like to speed up my boot up time with Win 7 by changing my old hard drive to a new SSD. I will keep the old drive as add. storage, but will need to put the OS and necessary files on the new SSD. Am I looking at a very difficult situation trying to do this? Right now, after taking out about all startup apps out except for Avast and CCPort for Cisco, this machine takes 1:11 min to boot to PW stage, and an add. 3 min to become functional. Any help or advice is welcomed, thank you

Solution
The difference in performance is absolutely INSANE! With any system, the performance “bottleneck” is almost always in the I/O. This is solved by having a solid SSD. The two best models available right now are the Samsung 840 EVO or the Samsung 840 Pro. The Pro is slightly faster (and slightly more expensive). You'll ask, “Is it worth the extra money to go with an SSD?” My answer, “UNDOUBTEDLY YES!” Here are links to the Evo and Pro:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394944316&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+840...

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Finding out about these little gems, Samsung EVO SSD has let me update some older systems I was considering replacing. And when I do trash the old systems, I can pull out the SSD's and carry on! The trick I learned was to install the Samsung software FIRST, then hook up drive, that is where my experience turned a little wrong for about 8-10 hours. Live and learn, sometimes the best knowledge is learned the hard way.