Question Changing Ram speed and timings causes pc/games to crash/restart

Oct 6, 2019
Hi,

I have the following primary components:
Asus x570 tuf plus wifi
Ryzen 3600
Rx 590 fatboy
Gskills Trident Z neo 3600mhz (18-22-22-44)
Gskills product link: https://www.gskill.com/product/165/326/1562840461/F4-3600C18D-16GTZN-Overview

All drivers up-to-date as of 06/10/19

I've enabled docp(xmp) profile (only has 1 profile 3603-18-22-22) doesn't boot. I changed the speed to 3444mhz boots but crashes and restarts under load (cinebench R20). Then changed it to 3400mhz boots up and runs cinebench but when I launched games from Microsoft store they would crash after 2-4 minutes of gameplay (games launched from steam didn't crash, went into ~10 minutes of gameplay).
I lastly tried 3200mhz (15-15-15-36 and 16-15-15-36) ran cinebench but playing games (Microsoft store games would crash. Origin games would cause blue screen restart) caused the computer crash and restart via blue screen and the error/stop code changed each time form "bam.sys" to some "hid" component.

Any assistance welcome.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Have you updated the bios to the latest one for you mobo? You can do that here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Having the latest bios will ensure best compatibility. That's specially true for those higher speed DIMMS above 3200mhz, and Ryzen.

If you don't have success after the bios update, open up CPUz and go the speed tab and note down any XMP profiles, their timings and voltage.

Then go to the bios, and manually set only the timings shown in the XMP profile, leaving everything else on auto. Sometimes you have to set the manually to get them to work.

You could also try testing the ram outside of Windows, using memtest86+, and running four passes to see if they are stable.

Otherwise it may be they are faulty.

Oct 6, 2019
Have you updated the bios to the latest one for you mobo? You can do that here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Having the latest bios will ensure best compatibility. That's specially true for those higher speed DIMMS above 3200mhz, and Ryzen.

If you don't have success after the bios update, open up CPUz and go the speed tab and note down any XMP profiles, their timings and voltage.

Then go to the bios, and manually set only the timings shown in the XMP profile, leaving everything else on auto. Sometimes you have to set the manually to get them to work.

You could also try testing the ram outside of Windows, using memtest86+, and running four passes to see if they are stable.

Otherwise it may be they are faulty.

Yep everything was up-to-date including bios.

Everything below 3600mhz were manually entered timings and all.
Haven't tried cpuZ, will give that a go soon with memtest86+ and hopefully I'll have better luck with that, else it could be a faulty stick.

Thanks for the advice 👍

Oct 6, 2019
Let me know how you get on, and we can see what else we can look at if you don't have success.
Thanks Keith, will try sometime this week, but quite busy this week as well and not looking forward to tinkering and trouble shooting, so most likely will look at it Friday or Saturday.