Question Changing the default web browser ?

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I have had my windows 10 PC taken over. I have had AVG installed and the AVG Secure Browser has set itself as the default. I tried unsuccessfully to change this. I decided to uninstall AVG now windows has decided that I should use Edge. I would like my computer and my life back.

In the good old days you opened a browser went to settings and ticked a box make default. Is there any way of taking control of my life and being asked permission before making changes?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi. I have had my windows 10 PC taken over. I have had AVG installed and set as my default. I tried unsuccessfully to change this. I decided to uninstall AVG now windows has decided that I should use. edge. I would like my computer and my life back.

In the good old days you opened a browser went to settings and ticked a box make default. Is there any way of taking control of my life and being asked permission before making changes?
Not very hard at all… Select Start Menu, open Settings, click on Apps, go to Default apps.

If you used AVG browser and removed it, Windows has no choice but to set a default browser… with Microsoft forcing Edge on everyone, why wouldn’t they change it back to Edge? Plus, how does the system know what you want to be set as default when you uninstalled your default?

Solution to all MS problems: Get a MacBook

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi. I have had my windows 10 PC taken over. I have had AVG installed and the AVG Secure Browser has set itself as the default. I tried unsuccessfully to change this. I decided to uninstall AVG now windows has decided that I should use Edge. I would like my computer and my life back.

You mean the bad old days? Having the default programs for different services in one single, consistent location is far more logical than having to search for options in different places in each and every bit of software. And frequently, software in the 90s didn't even have the option, and you had to go into the giant list of all the extensions associated with Windows and manually change to the exact .exe of the program.