[SOLVED] Changing the processor does not improve much the performance in 4K gaming?

tonywong2015

Honorable
Sep 14, 2018
I have the Intel i7 9700k and I was thinking in upgrade to 12900k but don't know how much that going to improve in the performance if I playing in 4K, someone tell me in this case I need to upgrade my GPU instead of my CPU, but I have the RTX2080ti, dont want to change every generation, so the solution is wait for newer GPU like series 5000 to upgrade?

RTX2080ti
i7 9700k
32GB RAM
3TB SSD nvme
Windows 10 Pro

Solution
... so the solution is wait for newer GPU like series 5000 to upgrade?
You can go looking for a 3080TI or 6900XT. Either of those are considered the 'top' 4K gaming GPU's and a considerable improvement on 2080. But still not likely to make even mid-range current gen CPU's work very hard.

Once you pick yourself up off the floor when you see the prices ask yourself if anything coming after that is going to be cheaper. The answer should be: probably not if the semiconductor shortages persist and coin miners continue to scarf up every GPU they can get their hands on.

Ralston18

Titan
What games do you play?

Most games provide some listing of hardware requirements in the form of "minimal", "recommended", or "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

For the most part, any given hardware upgrade may not result in any noticeable performance at all.

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to determine how the computer is currently using system resources. That may or may not help identify some viable change to improve performance.

... so the solution is wait for newer GPU like series 5000 to upgrade?
You can go looking for a 3080TI or 6900XT. Either of those are considered the 'top' 4K gaming GPU's and a considerable improvement on 2080. But still not likely to make even mid-range current gen CPU's work very hard.

Once you pick yourself up off the floor when you see the prices ask yourself if anything coming after that is going to be cheaper. The answer should be: probably not if the semiconductor shortages persist and coin miners continue to scarf up every GPU they can get their hands on.

Solution

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
I have the Intel i7 9700k and I was thinking in upgrade to 12900k but don't know how much that going to improve in the performance if I playing in 4K, someone tell me in this case I need to upgrade my GPU instead of my CPU, but I have the RTX2080ti, dont want to change every generation, so the solution is wait for newer GPU like series 5000 to upgrade?

RTX2080ti
i7 9700k
32GB RAM
3TB SSD nvme
Windows 10 Pro

Agreed that the GPU is where you should look.

But, to go back to the CPU for a minute...

You don't list the motherboard and chipset type, but I think the bigger barrier to upgrading to that CPU is the fact that any motherboard with the 9th gen i7 has a chipset too old to work with the 12th gen i9 you are asking about. Much less consider the fact that the socket type is totally different (LGA 1151 on the 9th gen vs. LGA 1700 on the 12th gen).

A CPU upgrade may be useful for other things other than 4K performance, so if you do consider it, you need to look up the motherboard support site and find their list of compatible CPUs. But I think even the jump to the 10th gen Core CPUs was also a jump to the LGA 1200 socket which is also incompatible with your board. Unless someone else knows something otherwise.

tonywong2015

Honorable
Sep 14, 2018
What games do you play?

Most games provide some listing of hardware requirements in the form of "minimal", "recommended", or "best".

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as you can afford.

For the most part, any given hardware upgrade may not result in any noticeable performance at all.

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to determine how the computer is currently using system resources. That may or may not help identify some viable change to improve performance.

I play Age of Empires 4, Forza Horizon 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, I waiting to play Battlefield 2042, Company of Heroes 3, Halo Infinite.

Ralston18

Titan
Installed PSU; make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Even if it is determined that some CPU and/or GPU upgrade will measurably and noticeably improve performance that upgrade will be for nought if the PSU is unable to provide enough power (wattage) at times of peak demands.

Which can well vary both between games and within any given game.

Before making any hardware changes be sure to take a look at the likely increase in power demands imposed by "higher performing" CPUs and GPUs.

There are a number of Calculator tools to help you do so.

Reference:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Not implying that you need to immediately purchase a new PSU. Just keep the potential increase in power demands in mind.