[SOLVED] Changing WiFi password

Dec 1, 2021
After changing the password of our WiFi at home, I logged in to the network via my cellphone with the new password. When I tried to log in via my laptop it didn't work. I tried to reboot both the router and laptop, in addition to reset the network card without any luck. Then I called my ISP, but they didn't have any clue as to why the new password was not accepted when I tried to log in via laptop. The ISP provided me with a completely new password which is accepted both via cell and laptop.

I find this a bit odd, and wonder what might have happened when I changed the password myself? Any suggestions on how to avoid that this happens again when changing the password?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
After changing the password of our WiFi at home, I logged in to the network via my cellphone with the new password. When I tried to log in via my laptop it didn't work. I tried to reboot both the router and laptop, in addition to reset the network card without any luck. Then I called my ISP, but they didn't have any clue as to why the new password was not accepted when I tried to log in via laptop. The ISP provided me with a completely new password which is accepted both via cell and laptop.

I find this a bit odd, and wonder what might have happened when I changed the password myself? Any suggestions on how to avoid that this happens again when changing the password?

Thank you in advance.

Most of the time with passwords, the...
You might have changed some config of the router like band/frequency or security method, your laptop's wireless card might not support some of the router's features. The ISP reset your router to default with most common settings so it would work for everything.

Thank you in advance.

Most of the time with passwords, the correct one was not used. You put it in on the phone correctly, then on the laptop you forgot a digit or forgot a capital letter or something else. I think only once in my 30 year IT career have I seen a valid correct password not work, when changing it worked, on a few Blackberry devices. I see this at work all the time, someone can't get in to a system, we change their password, that new one works fine, which means what they were trying was not the correct one.

Solution
Dec 1, 2021
Thank you for your reply! I tried typing the password several times on both frequencies of the WiFi, however it may have turned out wrong, which is the most obvious reason it didn't work. Interesting to know that you have encountered a valid correct password not working once before .

I have had this problem, one way or the other.
Best advice when you change a password is to write it down before you type it in.
Keep that paper safe somewhere.
Pick the show password option when you enter the text.

I have inadvertentdly had the shift lock on without realizing it.
Test for that.

This is where enterprise wifi connections are so nice. They are actually easy for the user and you can get away with less strict password so the users don't mess them up as much. The wifi uses the domain login so the user does not have to know 2 different passwords. In addition you can use certificates which are in effect a extremely long unique password stored on the machine. For the end user they know nothing about this the machine just connects almost via magic to the wifi network.

Even I who work in network security for many years have sticky notes on my monitor with some of my passwords because of the massive issue of remember all these complex passwords with all the different rules.

Dec 1, 2021
I have had this problem, one way or the other.
Best advice when you change a password is to write it down before you type it in.
Keep that paper safe somewhere.
Pick the show password option when you enter the text.

I have inadvertentdly had the shift lock on without realizing it.
Test for that.

Thank you for good advice! I wrote it down but I think I will do a screenshot as well next time with the show password option.