[SOLVED] changing windows hdd to data whilst keeping data

r3drocksr3d

Commendable
Aug 14, 2018
how do i change a windows drive to a data drive without losing the data on the disk? i am trying to use a ssd to be boot dive with windows 10 on it and another sata drive that has windows on it as a data drive. I just want the data on the sata drive and not boot from it. somehow the bios settings keep using changing to use the 100mb system stuff that is usually a hidden partition still and it shows up in file explorer with a drive letter on the sata drive whilst booting the os from the ssd greatly reducing the performance of the pc. Any help or ideas are appreciated, thanks! Hope it is understandable the issue, please ask for clarification to see if i can explain further if needed!

Solution
If you install windows on a ssd, you need to have any other drives unavailable during the process.
Otherwise, windows will put some hidden recovery partitions on the other drive.
Effactively making it impossible to boot without the decond drive.

I suggest you reinstall windows on a ssd all by itself.
The secondary hidden partitions will also go on the ssd.

Later you can attach the second drive and all your data files should be available.
Old apps which needed the registry will not run.
The old second drive will have windows files which you can delete.
Not so sure about the hidden partitions, but they are small, like 100mb.file
If you install windows on a ssd, you need to have any other drives unavailable during the process.
Otherwise, windows will put some hidden recovery partitions on the other drive.
Effactively making it impossible to boot without the decond drive.

I suggest you reinstall windows on a ssd all by itself.
The secondary hidden partitions will also go on the ssd.

Later you can attach the second drive and all your data files should be available.
Old apps which needed the registry will not run.
The old second drive will have windows files which you can delete.
Not so sure about the hidden partitions, but they are small, like 100mb.file

Solution