Question Characters models out of place but not 100% sure it's the GPU ?

Sep 4, 2022
Sorry in advance for any mistakes I might make, English is not my first language.

I build my PC a few months ago and I managed to get a 3080 but before that, I had and old AMD graphics card a friend lend me in the mean time, however I noticed some errors here an there, like some images having rainbow lines or textures being out of place in games. I thought this would change when I install the new graphics card but it didn't.
I tried updating the bios, changing the PCI slot, updating every driver possible and nothing changed, I'm a bit suspicious about motherboard but I'm no expert, any help is apreciated.

View: https://youtu.be/wIZyOjbNMu8

pc parts:
RTX 3080 ZOTAC TRINITY
2xHyperX 16GB 3600
Msi Gaming Egde B550 Wifi
Ryzen 7 3700x
Corsair Mx750

Colif

Win 11 Master
Tried running DDU in safe mode and reinstall drivers?

is that an RMx750?

Sep 4, 2022
Tried running DDU in safe mode and reinstall drivers?

is that an RMx750?
Apologies, is the Corsair Cx750 non-modular.
I tried what you said but sadly it didn't work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what was friends GPU?

So you get that behaviour in the video on both gpu? that is odd, never seen it before. I don't know what would cause characters to flicker like that,

The problem with saying it is the motherboard is there aren't any tests for it. You sort of test everything else and work backwards. If everything else is fine, its then an assumption

It could be something else

Lets start with CPU as its involved in this as well
Run Prime 95 overnight: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 how to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

It would be an odd ram bug
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Not sure its an effect from PSU

No point testing GPU's if it happens on both. Either you really unlucky and got 2 GPU that create same error, or its not them doing it.

any other hardware?

I assume video was a capture as otherwise it could be the HDMI or Display port cable attached to monitor is bad, might as well try different cables anyway.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022
what was friends GPU?

So you get that behaviour in the video on both gpu? that is odd, never seen it before. I don't know what would cause characters to flicker like that,

The problem with saying it is the motherboard is there aren't any tests for it. You sort of test everything else and work backwards. If everything else is fine, its then an assumption

It could be something else

Lets start with CPU as its involved in this as well
Run Prime 95 overnight: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 how to Guide: http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

It would be an odd ram bug
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Not sure its an effect from PSU

No point testing GPU's if it happens on both. Either you really unlucky and got 2 GPU that create same error, or its not them doing it.

any other hardware?

I assume video was a capture as otherwise it could be the HDMI or Display port cable attached to monitor is bad, might as well try different cables anyway.
The old gpu was a Radeon Sapphire HD5670 1GB DDR5,
I finished the ram test without any errors, so I guess it's not that
Idk if it might be because of the disks I have, I use an old seagate 1tb hdd and Windows is installed in Nvme ssd, I also have another ssd that is as old as the hdd but it's not being used that much at the moment.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have or can get a spare hdd to test Windows reinstall?

Are you using programs to acquire drivers like driver booster? If you can test a reinstall, use none of these and only get applicable drivers from motherboard website. Additionally from Amd directly regarding motherboard chipset drivers. Shouldn't be anything else really.

Although 750w is borderline adequate for a 3080, being a CX though would be of concern. Wouldn't be the reason for glitches since previous card was doing the same, but for long term use would probably upgrade it to Rm850x. Could be motherboard, im tending to lean toward borked Windows.

Sep 4, 2022
Run Prime95? Best to test all other hardware and if it comes out right, I would agree its probably the motherboard.
I ended up leaving the test on for 12 hours and It didn't show any errors, so... I guess I'll try to get another motherboard to see if my suspicion was right.

Sep 4, 2022
Do you have or can get a spare hdd to test Windows reinstall?

Are you using programs to acquire drivers like driver booster? If you can test a reinstall, use none of these and only get applicable drivers from motherboard website. Additionally from Amd directly regarding motherboard chipset drivers. Shouldn't be anything else really.

Although 750w is borderline adequate for a 3080, being a CX though would be of concern. Wouldn't be the reason for glitches since previous card was doing the same, but for long term use would probably upgrade it to Rm850x. Could be motherboard, im tending to lean toward borked Windows.
At the moment no, but I used to have Windows installed in the other SSD I mentioned before (the one that is as old the HDD) then I reinstall everything in the newer one but the errors maintained and yes, I agree that the 750w are a bit tight for a 3080, so I might change that in the future I apreciate any recommendations