Chassis Detection Fatal Error - Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming

ryanrj

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
Hello everyone. Last night I finished a computer build (I’ll list my components below in case that is relevant to fixing this problem), and initially I had no problem accessing the ASUS BIOS. However, after I accessed the ASUS BIOS I turned the computer off and restarted it, and that’s when I experienced two problems:

Problems #1: After restarting the computer, I was greeted with a “American Megatrends” screen, as pressing the F2 and Delete buttons to access the BIOS did not work during the restart process. Initially I didn’t realize what the problem was, but, after repeating the restart process a few times I noticed that I was receiving a “Chassis Intrusion Fatal Error” message.

Now I know the Chassis Intrusion Fatal Error issue is related to the motherboard chassis intrusion switch (or something in the BIOS), but, I don’t have anything (wires / inputs) connected to motherboard chassis, “intruder or ground” inputs. Now here is the thing, it’s quite possible I enabled the chassis intrusion feature in BIOS when I first accessed it (again, initially everything was working fine), although I don’t remember doing that, as that would have been in inadvertent accident on my part.

Ultimately, I’m fairly certain I have to disable this feature in BIOS, but, therein lies the problem; because I can’t access the BIOS to do that. So at this point I am at loss on what to do, and as embarrassed as I am to admit it I spent several hours trying to troubleshoot the trouble, without actually fixing the issue.

Problem #2: To add insult to injury, after I restarted the computer multiple times (approximately 3-5), the computer is no longer sending inputs to my monitor. My monitor is on, and appears to be in working order (I tested it on another computer), but, I keep getting a “no signal” message on my screen. I have tried to plug (HDMI) the monitor into the motherboard directly, in addition to the graphics card - to no avail.

I don’t think the Chassis Intrusion Fatal Error and monitor issue are related, but it’s certainly hampering any potential fixes because I can’t see what my computer is displaying.

If there is anyone who may know of a fix for either one of these problems, I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to tell me what that might be.

Thanks,
Ryan

ASUS BIOS Version: Revision 0224

Components:
Intel I9 9900K
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
32GB G Skill Trident 3600 (F4-3600C17D-16GTZR
ASUS ROG Strix Gaming Geforce RTX 2070 OC 8GB Graphics Card
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Samsung SSD 970 Evo 500GB
Thermaltake 1200-Watt Power Supply
Thermaltake RGB fans (X’s 7)
Thermaltake Floe AIO 360 TT Premium Edition

Solution
Try clearing the CMOS on your mobo. That will reset your mobo to factory defaults and should let you back in the bios. To clear the CMOS, just take out the battery on the mobo for about 10 seconds. The battery is round and about the size of a quarter. Put it back in and boot up and you should be able to get into your bios.

Try clearing the CMOS on your mobo. That will reset your mobo to factory defaults and should let you back in the bios. To clear the CMOS, just take out the battery on the mobo for about 10 seconds. The battery is round and about the size of a quarter. Put it back in and boot up and you should be able to get into your bios.

Solution
That is not enough to clear CMOS. PC has to be disconnected from power and you have to press power switch to to drain residual charge from PSU capacitors.
Other methods, that work would be:
  • shorting out CLEAR_CMOS jumper on motherboard or
    shorting out battery contacts on motherboard.
(power has to be disconnected in all cases)