[SOLVED] Chassis Gave Shock?

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
I have my Pc plugged into an outlet and I am pretty sure that it’s grounded but when I went to turn on my pc this morning and touched my case,I felt a slight shock.This has never happened to me before and I Thought that if my Pc was grounded then it shouldn’t shock me,but did I do any damage to my Pc or the parts?

Solution
I have my Pc plugged into an outlet and I am pretty sure that it’s grounded but when I went to turn on my pc this morning and touched my case,I felt a slight shock.This has never happened to me before and I Thought that if my Pc was grounded then it shouldn’t shock me,but did I do any damage to my Pc or the parts?
Here's the deal....if YOU were charged up with static.....you can still get a shock touching a grounded case.

If you repeatedly get shocked from the case....most likely you have a problem.....if it was just once....I think there's a good chance you don't.

You can check the ground on the case if you have a multimeter.

With the power off on the PC....but plugged in....set the meter to resistance (ohms)....touch one...

bioax

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
What parts of the case did it shock? If you tried touching the case, did it shock you again?
If everything is working normally, then I assume there shouldn't be any damage?

Here's the deal....if YOU were charged up with static.....you can still get a shock touching a grounded case.

If you repeatedly get shocked from the case....most likely you have a problem.....if it was just once....I think there's a good chance you don't.

With the power off on the PC....but plugged in....set the meter to resistance (ohms)....touch one probe to the PC case.....touch the other one to the ground in the other receptacle in the outlet (most outlets have two receptacles). You should read near zero ohms.

Solution

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019

With the power off on the PC....but plugged in....set the meter to resistance (ohms)....touch one probe to the PC case.....touch the other one to the ground in the other receptacle in the outlet (most outlets have two receptacles). You should read near zero ohms.
Well I’ve only gotten shocked and no more since but the electrical stuff in my home has been approved.So no damage?