[SOLVED] Cheap AMD CPU to Update MOBO BIOS?

incmachine

Commendable
Oct 14, 2021
I have a Gigabyte a320m-s2h motherboard and an AMD Athlon 3000g processor. But only the fans turn on when I power-up the machine. From what I have read, it seems that I need to find another CPU in order to power-on the motherboard and update the BIOS to F40. Then I believe I can re-install the AMD Athlon 3000g.

From what I was able to research, the motherboard first needs an AM4 CPU - 1st Gen Ryzen of original AM4 "A" series APU.

But I don't understand what this means?
Does anyone know exactly which CPUs will work?

Preferably something that can be purchased cheaply, maybe under $25-35?

I don't mind buying an old CPU but I really don't want to spend a lot of money on an old CPU just to update the BIOS on a motherboard....

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Local shop would be the ideal solution, they likely would have a compatible CPU.

AMD may ship you a CPU that you then return to them:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

There are no CPUs or APUs quite that cheap unless you look on the used market. Athlon 200GE would have graphics so you could see what you are doing. The older A series chips might also work, but they've been out of production a long time.

Reactions: incmachine

logainofhades

Titan
You are not going to find such a cpu, at that price, unless you get lucky and find a used one, on Ebay. It might be easier to spend a bit more, and get a B450 board, and sell the A320.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($67.45 @ Amazon)
Total: $67.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-10 13:32 EST-0500

Reactions: incmachine
Solution

incmachine

Commendable
Oct 14, 2021
Local shop would be the ideal solution, they likely would have a compatible CPU.

AMD may ship you a CPU that you then return to them:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

There are no CPUs or APUs quite that cheap unless you look on the used market. Athlon 200GE would have graphics so you could see what you are doing. The older A series chips might also work, but they've been out of production a long time.

Thanks, I will take a look around for an Athlon 200GE.

Would the older A series chips more expensive because they are harder to come by? Or cheaper because they are old now?