Question Cheap but dependable stereo amplifier?

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
I used to run a wire from the headphone jack of my television to the AUX input of an old 1980s or 1990s SoundDesign cabinet stereo, which I had hooked to some speakers. I have no idea what the wattage of the stereo was, but it sounded great to me while it worked (which was for about a decade, before it gave out).

I'm looking for an amplifier with an AUX input (to hook my TV to) that's powerful enough to power two Sony SS-U2C1 speakers (they are 8 ohm, 200 watt speakers from the 1980s or 1990s; I got them at a flea market).

I also have two other (presumably 8 ohm) old speakers (the wattage of which I have no idea), and it would be nice if the amp could power those in addition to the Sonys (for a total of four speakers), but not necessary.

I also want bass, treble, and balance controls. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, and I'm looking for something $70 or under, but I would prefer something that sounds solid and isn't too likely to conk out fast. I want it to be real stereo (nothing that remixes the sound to mono).

I've seen some very affordable Pyle amps on Amazon, but they almost always have a lot of negative reviews that make me nervous, especially the ones that say the amp failed quickly.

Do you have any recommendations?

kanewolf

Titan
I used to run a wire from the headphone jack of my television to the AUX input of an old 1980s or 1990s SoundDesign cabinet stereo, which I had hooked to some speakers. I have no idea what the wattage of the stereo was, but it sounded great to me while it worked (which was for about a decade, before it gave out).

I'm looking for an amplifier with an AUX input (to hook my TV to) that's powerful enough to power two Sony SS-U2C1 speakers (they are 8 ohm, 200 watt speakers from the 1980s or 1990s; I got them at a flea market).

I also have two other (presumably 8 ohm) old speakers (the wattage of which I have no idea), and it would be nice if the amp could power those in addition to the Sonys (for a total of four speakers), but not necessary.

I also want bass, treble, and balance controls. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, and I'm looking for something $70 or under, but I would prefer something that sounds solid and isn't too likely to conk out fast. I want it to be real stereo (nothing that remixes the sound to mono).

I've seen some very affordable Pyle amps on Amazon, but they almost always have a lot of negative reviews that make me nervous, especially the ones that say the amp failed quickly.

Do you have any recommendations?
A pawn shop or E-Bay is a good choice. Look for high quality brand names. Carver, B&K, Denon, etc.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
I had an H&H Scott receiver from the 80s that was good. They are listed on E-Bay. The bad thing with E-Bay is the shipping costs, audio equipment is larger and heavy.

Even without shipping costs, the H&H Scott receivers I found on eBay are more expensive that what I'm looking for. As I mentioned, I'm looking for something $70 or under.

Do you know if any Pyle amps are good?

kanewolf

Titan
Even without shipping costs, the H&H Scott receivers I found on eBay are more expensive that what I'm looking for. As I mentioned, I'm looking for something $70 or under.

Do you know if any Pyle amps are good?
They are used for PA systems. I don't know much else about them.
Sorry, my audio choices have always been more expensive.

Put your $70 (they have an under $75 category) and look at sold equipment on E-Bay. That will give you an idea of what is actually selling for the price you are willing to pay.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
Put your $70 (they have an under $75 category) and look at sold equipment on E-Bay. That will give you an idea of what is actually selling for the price you are willing to pay.

I already have done this on both eBay and Amazon. I know what's available for the price (mostly Pyles on Amazon, and mostly mysterious unbranded amps with a few Pyles mixed in on eBay); I just don't know which ones are trustworthy.

I already have done this on both eBay and Amazon. I know what's available for the price (mostly Pyles on Amazon, and mostly mysterious unbranded amps with a few Pyles mixed in on eBay); I just don't know which ones are trustworthy.

Pyle has a fairly high failure rate, but you are limited to what you can pay for. Check craigslist also if not pawnshops, people are still listing stuff on there. I see a lot of receivers on sale for pretty cheap, Yamaha, Technics, etc..

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
Pyle has a fairly high failure rate, but you are limited to what you can pay for. Check craigslist also if not pawnshops, people are still listing stuff on there. I see a lot of receivers on sale for pretty cheap, Yamaha, Technics, etc..

I checked some local thrift stores that have opened back up, but no luck. There's a flea market that might have something, but I'm not sure if it has opened up again yet.

If I can't find anything there, I might have to get a Pyle.

I know that. I meant exactly where (as in what's the link to the page).