cheap computer buying advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Things I will often do - checking email, browsing sites, listening to radio on youtube, watching high definition videos, but quality isn't very important to me. Using word and excel
Things I will sometimes do - editing some pictures in a simple way with GIMP, e.g. adding text or effects
Things I will rarely do - playing some soccer or NBA games on steam, editing video, but very rarely

I have a bad habit- that is I don't normally turn off my PC even if I am going to bed because I have to sleep with listening to radio or music. Is the power supply an important consideration??

Can you advise hardware configuration for me which is good enough for my need?

I had painful experience building up my own desktop computer by myself so I don't want to try it again it is wasting my time and beating up my confidence. I'd like to know which brand of desktop PC is usually made with quality, more durable, and of good value? Thanks for advice and experience

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
All the way up to the part about gaming you were on board for a Dell/HP office refurb. Super durable and worthwhile purchases on a budget.
Once you add in a GPU worthy of gaming the word budget went out the window.

logainofhades

Titan
All the way up to the part about gaming you were on board for a Dell/HP office refurb. Super durable and worthwhile purchases on a budget.

Typically those games are capable of running on an AMD APU/GT 1030 levels of performance. A dell/HP office refurb, as long as it isn't a SFF build, would be fine, and could handle a low end GPU. It really depends on actual budget, what is doable. Saying cheap gives us nothing, as cheap is subjective.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Typically those games are capable of running on an AMD APU/GT 1030 levels of performance. A dell/HP office refurb, as long as it isn't a SFF build, would be fine, and could handle a low end GPU. It really depends on actual budget, what is doable. Saying cheap gives us nothing, as cheap is subjective.

No specific budget
As long as good enough for my need

A Dell/HP office refurb? Sold on Amazon or ebay?

logainofhades

Titan

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
The biggest problem is graphics, for the little gaming you intend to do. Granted it doesn't take much, typically, for the games you are looking to play. Would need to know specific titles to know for sure.

Cheapest option, that shouldn't totally suck, for your gaming needs.
https://www.newegg.com/dell-precisi...-workstations/p/1VK-0001-5HBA7?quicklink=true

This one should be significantly better, though.
https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-001E-18GU9

Which desktop PC brand is usually of the best build and best value for the money, in addition to Dell.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Surprisingly enough, you might want to take a peruse of IBuyPowerPC (I think that is what it's called) sold by the likes of Best Buy.
Traditionally these systems had a really bad reputation and in particular on the customer service side. Apparently they have been paying attention and are now utilizing "standard off the shelf" equipment for (at least some of) their builds. I have seen a couple of recent reviews and for the price point they weren't awful, or at least not as bad as....The Toasty Bros just did a recent review where the only really bad aspect to the whole build was the PSU. It needed dual channel RAM and a few tweaks and was a presentable system afterward.

For super cheap, just buy a refurb Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc, even an older i3 or i5 ddr 3 would be fine for your needs, just make sure it's full tower case with a full size ATX power supply and connector(for ease of adding a graphics card and if needed later on or for the graphics card a better power supply). Then watch classified ads(FB marketplace, craigslist, etc for a deal on a graphics card. I picked up an immaculate GTX 950 for $60 4 months ago and an immaculate looking GTX 970 for $100 last week. $100-$200 total should be plenty for light gaming and basic computer stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.