Question Cheap even used laptop pc for streaming and playing movies?

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I was using an old laptop to power my projector and it just died. I usually build my own PCs with gaming in mind, but in this case I just want something basic. It just needs to be able to stream movies from Amazon/Netflix and also be able to play some videos I have on a flash drive using VLC. I'm open to building a small PC or perhaps buying a cheap laptop or I could maybe even go with something used, although I'm not familiar with the used market. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I might pick up cheap? I suppose I need windows 11 considering they will stop suporting WIn 10 in 2025. Thanks!

EDIT: USA resident. Buying US, local or online.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have had pretty good luck with Newegg on refurbished/used laptops. Often, they are more oriented towards office class, but that shouldn't matter.

This would seem a shoe in for something like a NUC or similar super small form factor. For instance, Dell has a line of very SFF Optiplex that may be a cheap way out.

In particular, In-Win does an ITX case called the Chopin that is really good for a mainstream "standard parts" build and could use some of the AMD integrated graphics options, 7xxx or newer, or Intel.

Reactions: Muckster

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: Muckster

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I have had pretty good luck with Newegg on refurbished/used laptops. Often, they are more oriented towards office class, but that shouldn't matter.

This would seem a shoe in for something like a NUC or similar super small form factor. For instance, Dell has a line of very SFF Optiplex that may be a cheap way out.

In particular, In-Win does an ITX case called the Chopin that is really good for a mainstream "standard parts" build and could use some of the AMD integrated graphics options, 7xxx or newer, or Intel.
If I search Amazon for "laptop" and sort by chepeast, I'm seeing a few around or under $200. I'm leery of renewed, but some renewed go for less than $100. Hard to tell if they have windows 10 or 11.

I see one SFF Optiplex for $232, but Win 10.

I threw a NUC together once. Lasted about 4 months. Never again.

I built a unit around a In-win case. Still running strong. Very compact design. Again, the problem is even a cheap build still needs me to purchase windows.

I guess just about anything will play a VLC video, right? Seems just about anything SHOULD work.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for the link. I'm not ready to commit to "used" just yet. I'd rather spend... i donno... under $250 on something new, if possible.

Regarding upgrading windows...

I've built several PCs over the last 2+ decades (often with Toms Forum help!). But I always just bought a home version of windows. Recently I read where you can legally just use windows without a license an certain features don't work. Is that true?

As for Rufus, I'll bookmark that until I need it. I actually have another PC that needs to upgrade to 11, but the updater says I can't... but I still think I can.

Thanks for the links. Anyone else have suggestions for new laptops or something smaller than a full tower desktop, let me know. Thanks for your suggestions.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
A new or used mini PC is good enough. No need to build. 16GB ram mini pc is recommended though for the future.
https://www.amazon.com/GMKtec-Windows-Computer-Business-G3/dp/B0CQ4XQ2WG

I personally owned a 32GB 5700U mini pc from GMKtec, very satisfied. New model has been updated to 5825U, same price
https://www.amazon.com/GMKtec-Mini-PC-Ryzen7-5700U/dp/B0CD7Y4C5Y

Add a small screen if needed.
https://www.amazon.com/MNN-Portable-15-6inch-Ultra-Slim-Speakers/dp/B0B9NNWXVP

Lantis3...

I like your first link, that GMKtec Mini PC. Just need HDMI out and a USB or two for wireless logitech and a flash drive. Best part is, I don't even need the monitor you linked if I can get it working with my projector. It's got wifi and windows 11.

from description:
【4K Dual Screen Display】Mini desktop computer is equipped with Intel UHD Graphics(max 750MHz), supports 4K video playback and AV1 decoding, connect the pc with a projector as a home theatre, enjoy a variety of entertainments. Two HDMI 2.0 ports allows you to multi-task efficiently on two 4K@60Hz displays.

All for $127.99.

Your second link, at $330 seems more than I need, but I could spend more than $128 if there's a good reason to.

The $128 comes with 8GB DDR4+256GB N100, but there's an upgraded version for $144.49 which buffs me to 12GB DDR5+256GB N97.

I mostly build highest end gaming desktop PCs, so I never have to think about processing speed when doing simple desktop tasks, streaming, moving files, etc. Am I going to have any of those issues with a PC this cheap?

I appreciate you saying you had good luck with the other GMKtec. I know nothing about this brand. Can you or anyone else tell me more about it, perhaps based on the hardware?

Anyone have any reason to doubt this PC for my needs? Anyone have something similar?

Really apprecaiting this feedback. Good finds.

*Bonus question. My wife likes to play the Sims 4. Would this run that just fine?

Last edited:

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I actually also bought bmax n100, but I use it as a NAS.
https://www.amazon.com/Bmax-Lake-N100-Desktop-Computer-Bluetooth5-2/dp/B0CXDTSJCC?th=1

You should be able to find some unboxing videos on YT for both, I guess.

If a product has good rating and even on Amazon's Choice list, in most cases you shouldn't have to worry.

I purchased both mini pc this summer. I don't have idea which brand is bigger, but GMKtec's packaging was extremely good.

Last edited: