Cheap GPU used for bitcoin mining = worth it?

jeef147

Reputable
May 22, 2014
Hello there!

I was looking to buy a new 290x, upgrade from my 7950, and I'm only gaming (don't even know exactly how bitcoin mining works).

But for the price (700) I was offered two used 290x sapphire tri-x, instead of one new.

This guy does a lot of mining, and he has the receipt proving it was purchased in March, but he said he had used it 24/7 for mining.

He doesn't have a way for me to test the GPUs on site, since he only have mining rigs, but he said I'm welcome to bring my computer and test them.

My question is: Is this worth? I mean, what are the chances the GPU got it's life span shortened due to heavy usage (dunno how heavy the usage was). He states that he kept them well ventilated, and the tri-x has a good cooling system.

Also, what are the chances he's scamming me? This buying and selling of used parts that were used on mining seems to be quite common now days. Any of you have any experience with it?

Even though he have the box and receipt, I guess I wouldn't really have a warranty on it, correct?

I appreciate any help on the matter, thank you!
Jeff

LikeABossNT

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
Mining for BitCoins is like putting your GPU in a torture chamber. It uses it on 100% power so the lifespan WILL be reduced. I wouldn't recommend buying them as they might break very soon.

jeef147

Reputable
May 22, 2014
lol what a busy forum... less than 24 hours and I'm down the third page.

Anybody else would like to drop their 2 cents on this matter above? I'd really appreciate it, since I have to close the deal tomorrow.

Thunderballs

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
I have botted MMORPGs for years running graphics cards 24/7 for days with very little downtime. Never had a card fail on me and many of the cards were second hand in the first place.

That said .. if bitcoin mining is a torture chamber you are going to be using a product thats been through a lot more than botting MMORPGs. Nevertheless graphics cards drop in price so much, how long are you realistically going to keep any graphics card you buy ? 12-18 months before replacement ?

Mining with GPUs is all but dead I believe ..becasue of a move to ASIC mining thats massively more efficient than GPU mining so expect a lot more GPUs from miners to appear on the market ....

re guarantees ...you may not always get away with transfer from one owner to another - writing gift on the recipt and other techniques would need to be researched for your particular country ..and there is always eBay for selling stuff on ...