qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I haven't been on here in a couple years, but the holidays are coming, and I'd like to throw together a cheap (very cheap) computer which can play Blu Ray files (.mkv) without a hitch. I have no idea what's out right now in the market. I'll need everything but a hard drive. Can anyone suggest some parts? Thank you.

berryjr1

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

There is the "Recommended Builds by Usage" thread here at TH.
Similar idea: "Guide to Building a HD HTPC" at AVSforums.
I just put together an Athlon II X2 245, GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H, Silverstone Grandia GD04 with other existing parts. I have yet to test it but I think it will be fine.
Good Luck!

aaqs.jpg

Minus off that WD Green hehe What i do is advise my clients on decent wifi kb/mouse with enuff range for them to do their thang from their couches with there LCD TVs hehe Those RF ones with 10 feet range should cut it

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Even cheaper than that. :p

Thanks guys, but I ended up just getting a WD TV box that I'll hack so I can wireless stream videos from my computer. Total came out to be around $90 on Newegg. :D

hitechluddite

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I'd check your Video's on the WDTV before you do too much high fiving! ;) I had to convert all my VOB files to mkv or MPEG2 before it would play them right. If I decide to transcode a video sometimes NERO works best, sometimes AVS remaker or converter for WDTV Playback. I can see no rhyme or reason for this.....

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Most of my files work. VOB files work without a problem. Yesterday I tried to watch a movie in MKV and it wouldn't play it past a certain point.

For the amount I paid, I'm pretty happy. :)

The only thing I don't like is the fact that there's a delay between the button presses and the time the actual menu movies. It drives me crazy.