[SOLVED] Cheap NAS that uses SSD, for home use

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrolyte2021

Prominent
Jul 30, 2021
Hi, I am looking for a NAS that uses SSD as storage and only need it to store files onto, so one or two bay. I have had a Lenovo ix2 and that did ok but am looking to get something new and long lasting, something that uses SSD. I looked at bestbuy and don't have the patience having to hunt down information for every listing whether it allows an ssd. As well, can I use any ssd in today's NAS or is it specific? My Lenovo only allows specfic hdd which I guess have been rated or designed to work with that era of NAS.

Solution
Hi, I am looking for a NAS that uses SSD as storage and only need it to store files onto, so one or two bay. I have had a Lenovo ix2 and that did ok but am looking to get something new and long lasting, something that uses SSD. I looked at bestbuy and don't have the patience having to hunt down information for every listing whether it allows an ssd. As well, can I use any ssd in today's NAS or is it specific? My Lenovo only allows specfic hdd which I guess have been rated or designed to work with that era of NAS.
Have you looked at the big 3 brands? Synology, QNAP, Thecus? I believe all three of them allow 2.5 inch SATA SSDs as storage.

You DO realize that the network will limit you to 100MB/s ? That is not outside the...

kanewolf

Titan
Have you looked at the big 3 brands? Synology, QNAP, Thecus? I believe all three of them allow 2.5 inch SATA SSDs as storage.

You DO realize that the network will limit you to 100MB/s ? That is not outside the performance of good spinning disks.
An internal SATA SSD has six gigabit interface. You will have 1 gigabit with a typical network.

Solution

electrolyte2021

Prominent
Jul 30, 2021
Ha, ya. Well the other option to this forum is to send the manufacturer a request for information of their products specific to my needs. That QNAP setup must have cost some serious coin back in the day.

I would have https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002996862185.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.613f2e0ePdYjdp if I could find out if there was some sort of encryption so that someone just couldn't take the drive out and connect it to a Linux computer via cable.

kanewolf

Titan
Ha, ya. Well the other option to this forum is to send the manufacturer a request for information of their products specific to my needs. That QNAP setup must have cost some serious coin back in the day.

I would have https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002996862185.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.613f2e0ePdYjdp if I could find out if there was some sort of encryption so that someone just couldn't take the drive out and connect it to a Linux computer via cable.
The difference between a Synology, or QNAP and that HikVision, is the software on the device.
All the NAS companies have "test drive" capabilities on their websites. Take advantage of that.
The software running on a commercial NAS is what makes it worth the extra cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.