[SOLVED] Cheapest AM4 CPU I can buy just to flash X470 BIOS?

FallibleCanine

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
My friend and I are building twinsies AMD-based gaming computers. Another friend strongly recommended the Gigabyte Gaming 7 X470 motherboard, which seems pretty cool. However, while its features do include a screaming neon orange falcon, its features do not include BIOS flashback. The loaner CPU option is cumbersome for complicated reasons. (Computer parts at at friend's place, he's on vacation for two weeks, it'd be disappointing if we had to wait another week or so after he got back just to get the loaner CPU in the mail, but they probably want the serial number.)

Anyway. What's the oldest, cheapest CPU I could potentially buy just to flash these two motherboards? If I can get something online for $10 or whatever, that's worth it to me to avoid further hassle.

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a comparably cool motherboard that would avoid this problem, that'd be awesome. The Gaming 7 does seem to have some amazing features (and not just the screaming neon orange falcon).

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution

illusineer

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
You can get your BIOS updated at your local computer repair store for pretty cheap or for free. They can also troubleshoot if you have any other problems. Faster and maybe cheaper than waiting for a CPU to arrive and having to figure out what to do with it once you're done. Unless your local shop sucks.

Reactions: DMAN999