Cheapest & Best Graphics Card for Skyrim?

Mr Bwabbers

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
So I am not new to PC gaming but I am no way a hardcore PC gamer as my favourite game is Halo (you can guess why I don't PC game) but I love Skyrim so much that I had to get on the PC to play around with some mods and I have found some really cool ones, I was just wondering what would be the best and cheapest Graphics card for me to get

Budget - probably around £120... so $203.94

Specs -

OS - Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs),~ 2.5Ghz

Memory - 4096MB RAM

Graphics Card - Nvidia GeForce GT 610 (Sucks so bad...)

let me know if you need anything else

I want to play on High-Ultra 1280x720, I would also obviously like to have a solid 60 FPS but that might not be possible with my budget, but as long as it's over 30 and never goes under I will be happy, I won't be installing crazy mods like ENB and I won't have anywhere near 20, just a few quest ones like Falskaar and Helgen Reborn and a few Followers and new animations like the female high heel walk and female running.

What do you think?

Thanks for Reading!

-Bradley

Solution
A 560 Ti plays it on max settings fine (without mods). You could try and pick up a used one from ebay for cheap?

Alternatively something new like the GTX 750 Ti would do the job and be bang on budget.

Mr Bwabbers

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Very nice, Thanks! the mods as I said wont be too intensive haha, also I heard 4GB RAM is all that I really need, would 8GB be a waste?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah buying 8Gb for that platform just isnt worth the money. Get more ram when you eventually upgrade to a new mobo/cpu, as you will need DDR3 anyway (or DDR4 when it comes out..)

...What's your power supply? The GTX 750 TI is by far the most efficient card for the performance, but it still won't run on a truly terrible PSU. You'll need to list yours so we know if it's enough.

8GB is good for Skyrim if you use the official HD DLC or a lot of HD texture mods, or if you keep a lot of background tasks running at the same time. Other than that, 4GB is enough. Skyrim is only able to use 3.2GB of RAM on its own, so the circumstances in which more than 4GB is helpful are quite limited.

If you want to use the Official HD DLC, but don't want to add another 4GB of RAM, this is a good option to keep performance up, and to keep memory use low, without sacrificing much image quality.
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9080/?

Mr Bwabbers

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Okay thanks for the help, man! I hit the arrow thing next to your name on all your posts lol I am new to this website

Mr Bwabbers

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

450W

The GTX 750 TI should run on that, but it'd still help to know the model name if you can find it.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Yeah youll be all good with the 750 Ti then. Its a great mid range card and uses hardly any power.

Mr Bwabbers

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

All I can find is a RoHS logo, ATX Switching Power Supply