Cheapest Route For Computer

Tkennedy1993

Honorable
May 26, 2015
I have built my computer the specs are:
AMD a6-5400k
Asus a88xm-a motherboard
8gb ddr3 1333mhz

I am not a really big gamer. I play CS:GO every other day or so. I am wondering if upgrading my CPU to the AMD a10-5800k would be worth it? I dont mind using the APU because i usually run on low or medium setting anyway. Or would buying a graphics card and installing it beside my AMD a6 would be a better decision?

Solution
The integrated graphics and the processors use completely different portions of the cpu so no, it would not affect how fast the computer runs. It could reduce the heat the cpu produces but thats about it.

If you are going for a new cpu, I would spend the extra money on the 7850k. It has a decently higher clock speeds but most important of all, a faster integrated gpu for only a small amount more money.

Tkennedy1993

Honorable
May 26, 2015

When it comes to buying one item at a time. Would it be better to get the AMD a10-5800k and wait for graphics card. Or get graphics card now and wait to get processor?

iballew

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
Well that motherboard supports all of the newest apus so you do have a lot of options in that regard. The a6-5400k is only a dual core, therfore, it would be a huge bottleneck to any decent dedicated graphics cards. These are really your two best options.

1. Upgrade to an a10-7700k, 7850k, or 7870k (make sure your bios is up to date before upgrading). All of them are quad cores that are much faster than your old 5400k. Also, their integrated graphics are also much faster than your old cpu. If you ever wanted to upgrade to a more powerful dedicated card in the future, any of the cpus I listed would pare well with it.

2. Although more expensive, you would end up getting more horsepower from your computer. First, upgrade to an athlon x4 860k (a10 7850k without the integrated graphics). Second, upgrade to a gtx 750/r7 250x or higher. If you were to do this, you would have to make sure your power supply is good enough to support a dedicated gpu.

Tkennedy1993

Honorable
May 26, 2015

Thanks for the information. Now if i get a AMDa10-7700k and use the intergrated graphics for right now. When i buy a graphics card would that take the stress off the APU? If it does would that free up more processing power or no?

iballew

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
The integrated graphics and the processors use completely different portions of the cpu so no, it would not affect how fast the computer runs. It could reduce the heat the cpu produces but thats about it.

If you are going for a new cpu, I would spend the extra money on the 7850k. It has a decently higher clock speeds but most important of all, a faster integrated gpu for only a small amount more money.

Solution