Cheapest Video Card with 6 pin Connector

AFeils

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
The title is self explanatory but I will describe the problem I am having for some extra context. I am trying to get an old HP desktop Windows 10 ready for a client. and before you say get a new PC, he is unwilling to put in th extra money. It is a second PC that is used rarely. For whatever reason the compatibility wizard said his integrated AMD graphics are not going to cut it. I picked up a Corsiar CX450M power supply knowing full well that the power supply it shipped with was probably not going to cut it. I purchased an EVGA GT710 as an inexpensive option to add a little extra horsepower under the hood. I went into the Bios to make sure the dedicated card would be selected for video output. To my surprise, I didn't receive any signal whatsoever. I installed the GT 710 in one of my PCs and it is seen just fine. I then installed an old 8800 GTS and a higher watt power supply. it worked like a dream. I came to the conclusion that the motherboard is just unable to send enough watts through the PCIe slot. Am I wrong in thinking this? If I am correct I would appreciate any inexpensive and even refurbished graphics card recommendations.

Solution

Check it and see if HP...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If it's an old HP, I suspect it is just the HP BIOS that isn't recognizing the newer gfx cards. Old HPs seemed to have had this problem for some reason. Some say that HP used a proprietary BIOS that required one of the cards they sold. I can't verify that. You might be able to find the support page for that HP and see what cards they recommended back then.

But to answer your question, the RX-560 is about the least expensive card the requires a 6-pin I think. Unless you find a used older card. But I really don't think it is the PCIe slot that is the issue.

There are OEM motherboards that send less than the standard wattage through the PCIe x16 slot. Did you try just installing Windows 10 on the computer despite the warning about the video chip? Are there even Windows 10 drivers for that system available? Seems like a lot of work for an older system, just leave it running 7 or 8 or whatever it's at now. Windows 7 will be fine for security levels for a bit.

AFeils

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

I looked over the precheck and the only component that the windows 10 installer didn't like was the internal graphics. I assume it is either driver related or it just isn't powerful enough to run reliably. Could it be an issue where windows doesn't have a driver but the manufacturer website might?

Check it and see if HP has a driver, it may also pick up a driver after it goes through some updates. You can also check the chipset vendor and see if that one has a driver for the video. I know some older video chips don't even have Windows 7 drivers and are stuck at the VGA ones.

Solution