Cheaters Delay 'PUBG' Matchmaking Fixes, New Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really understand why lag is a wayof cheating. Shouldn't hit/miss calculations be made on the server side? The lagged person would see "old" information, whereas the low-ping one would see what is TRULY happening right now, so low-ping shots would hit the target, lagged shots would arrive at the server (and game world) a lot later, therefore missing everything that moves.

Why doesn't it work like that, can anyone with some knowledge explain?

You know, I wouldn't mind if game companies started an online consortium to ban across entire platforms, players that cheat, from playing with non-cheating customers. I also wouldn't mind if all players who were caught cheating, were still allowed to play, so long as it was only with other cheaters. If cheating carries a heavy enough burden to the average cheater, there would be less of it. The professional miscreants would still likely get away with it, but it would pare back the numbers of the average nuisance players.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
as long as games monetize cheating, via loot boxes and twitch.tv proceeds a fair game will NEVER be had.
Remove the incentives for cheating.
LOOT BOXES AND STREAMERS KILLED THE GAME AND NOTHING CAN REPAIR IT.
RIP

larkspur

Distinguished

I don't think anyone is saying that it is. It sounds more like Rexly is saying that bluehole has been forced to devote most of their resources into anti-cheating rather than implement some of their new matchmaking schemes (ping-based for better server response and stability) and the new map. That's what it sounds like to me anyway. I'm sure he can further clarify.

From what I've heard, the game uses client-side hit detection, so if it looks like you hit someone on your screen, then the server trusts that you actually hit them. If one player has a high ping, they could pop out of cover and shoot someone before the other player even has a chance to see them. They might also be able to get multiple shots off against a player before the target even has a chance to hear the first one and duck behind cover. To the low-ping player getting shot at, it will appear to them that they got shot after taking cover, but to the high ping player, they would have been taking multiple shots while the other player was still exposed. In short, it sounds like the game might have poor netcode.

That might be due, in part, to the large number of players in a match though. And it probably was less of a problem before the game became hugely popular in China. Ping times between that part of the world and North America or Western Europe tend to be quite high, on the order of hundreds of milliseconds. A lot of players from that region join servers in other parts of the world where their ping to the server can be very high, making this more of a problem than it had been previously.

Technically, if properly coded, it could detect and account for that. They could, for example, keep track of the highest ping spikes a player has had to a server in recent games, and base their placement on that. Or if they wanted, they could even detect if a player's ping is suspiciously changing repeatedly, and either ban them, or just send them to a server for all those with wildly unstable pings. In any case, I suspect that the number of players doing something like that is minimal compared to the number of players simply joining servers halfway around the world, so at the very least sorting players by ping would help a lot.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I feel sorry for those with slow connections. Not only do they suffer from that, but now they will also be put last in line for match-ups.
Why not have more servers worldwide and re-direct them to a server where they get lower delays?

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
You know, I'm going to go a step further here, why are cheaters not in jail? You steal a car - JAIL, rob a store - JAIL, ruin a game through cheating and cost company 10-of-$1000s - absolutely nothing (maybe you get banned.) If I robbed a store of $1000 and all that happened to me was I was banned from going to that store... I'd be robbing places left and right!

Bottom line is cheating happens cause there are no real consequences. Make better cheat detection software, and they will make a better cheater.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Here is an idea instead of banning the cheaters from the game instead put all of them on their own server or map. Once you are caught cheating you are no longer able to go into the regular world/map but instead are always forced into the cheat world/maps. Lets see how they enjoy it then when everyone else on the map is also cheating in the game I am sure they will just get bored after a while and leave the game and go cheat some where else.

As for the high ping times their solution seems a bit flawed I have been in the computer industry for a very long time and have also played a lot of multi player games both on a network and online and have never seem a company resort to punishing players because their internet might be a bit slower or just suck. The game engine and servers are supposed to be able to handle such things and just make it work. This will really suck for the Xbox One players since I have heard their game experience is not all that good with slower FPS and lots of rubber banding lag effect like holy crap they all will be sitting in the before the match starts for ever area. This game really needs to either be taken off of the market until it is actually ready for release and the major bugs and other things are taken care of or they need to stop charging for a very buggy game that has no business being released to the public in it's current form. I watched GN and how bad this game os on the Xbox One and I have to wonder why anyone would want to put them selves through the torment of trying to play this game and how badly coded it is at this point in time. I have also watched Fortnite game play and the difference is night & day that game just runs as expected on a lot more hardware and being that it is based off of the same engine makes you wonder what the heck is going on with the PUBG dev's and how they could flub up a game this badly. Sure FortNite has it's own issues most likely but at least it runs like it has been optimized with some skill involved. To me either game is not my cup of tea both of them look like games from the early 2000's and I do not like this type of game play to slow paced for my liking. I tend to lean more towards a game like Unreal Tournament type game play a lot faster paced action from start to finish and you have to have a lot more skill to stay alive.

I asking because the first reply links to a lag device that is used specifically for cheating, and that really got me confused...

Sounds like a decision very prone to issues, in my opinion... A strong enough server would be quite better than this. I don't really think the game has high hopes of being fixed this way...

zackbacher

Honorable
Feb 14, 2018
Honestly this is no excuse for not releasing and developing content... what is there 2 game developers working on this thing?

The game allows players to select their server region from a drop-down list. The developer's reason for not restricting people to a particular set of servers based on location is that they want to allow players to continue to play with friends in other regions. And that's okay, so long as their ping doesn't get too out of hand. Ping times between eastern China and servers in America or Europe tend to be around a third of a second or more though, which isn't good at all for a game that involves a lot of precise shooting and ducking behind cover.

As for those on "slow" Internet connections, it isn't likely to be much of a problem unless one is using something like satellite Internet. Most ground-based broadband connections typically have less than 50ms of round trip latency to nearby servers, and in most regions it shouldn't likely be hard to have a ping of around 100ms or less for a game like this. They're likely more interested in filtering out those with very high pings around 200ms or more. As for satellite Internet, you're generally looking at over 500ms of round trip latency, or over half a second, which is pretty much not fit for any sort of online shooters.

Fortnite is from Epic Games, the same company that develops the Unreal Engine, so it makes sense that they would be able to optimize the game around it better than many other companies. Additionally, Fortnite had been in development since 2011, while development of PUBG only started in early 2016, and was launched much earlier in the development cycle as an Early Access title.

Status
Not open for further replies.