Check Disk Type NTSF

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
Hi everyone,

When I booted up my computer today I saw a message that said something about my disk type being NTSF and that it was going to run a CHKDISK to check for consistency. I don't remember the whole message but I let it run and after the 3 stages my computer started up. When I restarted my computer I didn't get that message again?
Should I be worried? Also, what does that message mean? I just built my PC a couple days ago so I really hope I'm really surprised that I got this message.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
No need to worry, you computer will periodically check the disk. It may do it if your computer lost power or just according to a schedule. It would tell you if there were any errors to worry about. Once it runs, it should not need to run again for quite some time.
No need to worry, you computer will periodically check the disk. It may do it if your computer lost power or just according to a schedule. It would tell you if there were any errors to worry about. Once it runs, it should not need to run again for quite some time.

Solution

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

Thank you for super quick answer! I did some googling and check if my volume was dirty. Since it's not dirty I assume that my PC is safe!

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

Hi,
I know you said that the computer may run the CHKDISK periodically, however my computer has run it 3 times in less than a week. Is this normal?

Thanks

That's a bit more than usual. Are you letting it fully run each time? Do you power-off your computer without telling it to "shutdown" and waiting for it to turn itself off?
If it doesn't give errors and you have no other symptoms, it's not a problem. You may have installed a program that schedules a lot of disk checks.

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

I always use the shutdown button. When I check the event log for the chkdsk there's a message in each of them that says Windows has found no problems. I also ran cmd prompt and did a chkntfs. My result was "the type of file system is NTFS. C: is not dirty"

Thank you.