Check Out Microsoft's Surface 2 Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Eh, not a bad ad... Actually stresses some of the things the Surface does that people might want ahead of a bunch of people dancing around. Comparison ads are not the best idea now either since some other Windows 8 tablets are probably better buys at lesser prices (Asus T100) - though, seeing how they actually are build wise and stuff is still a wild card in this case.

ioconnor

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Their marketing is totally off. For example they state:
"The new surface, the one device for everything in your life." "This lets you run your favorite apps, next to your favorite apps". "So you can do real work."

My understanding is that I will not be able to reformat the thing and install linux on it because they have disabled in the hardware the ability to load any other OS. So I won't be able to do real work, run my favorite apps, or be a device for anything in my life. To be fair I usually keep a copy of windows on a partition that I can boot up if I ever need windows. Which, well, might happen if I ever started playing games again. Not very likely since I would only want to try games that ran on Linux.

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
Finally they did away with the obnoxious as fuck dancing ads. Dancing people? Who fucking cares, Microsoft? Who!? No one, evidentially!

Tell us about the product and why we might actually want one. Novel concept, I know.

Bad advertising quickly makes me loathe a product to the point where I won't by anything from that company any more. Fickle? Perhaps, but it takes two tango. Stop with the shitty ads already...

This ad was alright. Finally telling people what the hell the product actually IS! WOW!

mstngs351

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

Until now I've not looked into reformatting as that would be silly considering being able to run Windows opens up so many doors, especially for work. MS actually announced that you can install a different OS. The whole "it will be locked down..." rumor was just that. Another baseless rumor against MS. I had hoped techies would have stopped buying into linux/apple fan-boy lies by now.

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013

Speaking of fanbois... Windows RT is not Windows, mstngs351.

Who is spreading "fan-boy lies" now, eh?

ram1009

Distinguished
I can understand the need for portable computing. What I will never understand is how anyone can think that any portable will ever be as powerful as a desktop. The laws of physics won't allow it.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Should have added LTE as an option at launch. This is one of the reason why there is hardly any map navigation app for RT.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Mobile computing will never be as powerful as desktop due to power supply and heat issue. What is more dangerous is that the existing software and hardware companies might draw the wrong conclusion and actively abandon desktop and hence ends up destroying it.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
A better ads than the first one with dancing people no doubt. It would have been better if Microsoft concentrate more on what is so magical about using Surface instead of trying to merely explaining the improved specifications. Common people with little understanding of IT tech only has vague idea of IT tech will not understand how Surface can be useful for them.

Also, I notice the ads showing file copying in desktop mode. Microsoft really needs a more touch friendly version of file explorer as it is still easy to select the wrong files with the current version in desktop.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Why buy the surface pro 2 when for less money, you can buy a laptop with better specs, and still have enough money left over for for a nexus 10 tablet (16GB)?

The surface pro 2 starts at $900 and only has 64GB of flash (where the OS takes up half) the 512GB storage model cost $1800

a laptop with the same specs (except for the display), + the purchase of a 512GB SSD cost $830 (that is cheaper than their 64GB model.

If a user does not mind a slower access time and lower res display, they can just go with a Acer Aspire E1-572-6870, then use the rest of the money to buy a nexus 10 tablet (which has the best 2560x1600 mobile display currently available)

and it will be $50 cheaper than the 64GB surface pro 2.

or if you want, for $50 less than the 64GB surface pro 2, get a
Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 which has significantly faster CPU, 6GB of RAM, 1TB hard drive, and SLI geforce GT 650M

and a 1080p display

then use the other $50 to get your self a nook color tablet and put cyanogenmod on it

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
bought a laptop, spent 2 hours customizing windows 8 to act and feel like windows 7. And this thing come with that same piece of %&!!!!&% I had to spent time to disguise?

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

That should change with the Nokia RT tablet next month. :)

gnodeb

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008

I see your logic. You could say that you can buy desktop with more power, storage and bigger display. You would save enough money to buy digital watch and that watch would be lighter, thinner and would have better battery life then any other tablet/laptop. But we are here talking about portable power... not just power or just portability.

It's obvious that Surface Pro is the smallest ultrabook on the market and still has reasonable power with some additional goodies (it can replace your tablet). Surface (RT) is just a tablet that happen to have some PC functionality (multi user OS, real USB, external displays, office for free...). They may not be for everybody but they are great and unique products. That kind of products are usually not cheep.

While I don't think that starting prices are unreasonable... I do not understand why they are asking so much for upgrades and accessories. M$ is not alone here. Looks like any other company is doing just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS