Check out the Dual Screen Acer Iconia in Action

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thrust2night

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Isn't Iconia one of the planets in the neutral zone of the Federation and Romulans in Star Trek?

That's where the Enterprise found the Iconian civilization who were destroyed by orbital bombardment because they had a device that could act like a doorway to travel to other worlds without starships.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Did you know that the iPad isn't the first touch screen tablet? IMAGINE THAT![/citation]

Which part said that that iPad IS THE FIRST touch screen tablet? Are you IMAGINING that?

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
[citation][nom]Renegade_Warrior[/nom]Didn't Microsoft recently file a Patent on just such a concept earlier this year?[/citation]
I'm not sure but MS is largely a software company so, based on that, I doubt it.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
personally I don't like typing on touch screen devices. Rumble providing tactile feed back helps but it just can't beat the feeling of a good key press. The device is pretty cool tho, think of all the custom options you could have such as key layout to colour options. Need a short cut to something, just create a button and macro it. Don't like the position of crouch or keep hitting the wrong key while gaming, just remove it lol.

MaxGuerette

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Nice concept.. But it still bugs me that there isnt a dedicated touch interface that doesnt just trolly a mouse pointer around everywheres you put your finger...

G

I thought of this concept a year ago. I would be nice if it had some kind of force feedback like androids haptic feedback. This would be cool if you could have custom control surfaces for music mixing, 2d and 3d art work, or any other kind of application. You could have a world of warcraft keyboard layout with the ability to look up stuff online while you still are playing or have other screens on the bottom screen.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Nice gimmick, but a keyboard without tactile feedback is a big no-no for me. A touch sensitive notebook is nice, but a notebook without a keyboard is just a failure imo. Less portable and elegant than a tablet and just as awful to type on.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]slipdisc[/nom]I'm not sure but MS is largely a software company so, based on that, I doubt it.[/citation]

Who said that I said that you said the iPad was the first tablet out there?

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
It's the future, bitches.

Colour e-ink can solve the (potential) battery issues and please, stop complaining about the lack of physical buttons. There are technologies being worked on, such as tactile feed-back from micro vibrations, surface changes when pressed, etc.

Good times are ahead.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]victorintelr[/nom]Now that's an interesting concept, my question is how long will the battery last?[/citation]
Watch the first video, right at the end the guy asks about battery lifetime and is answered with a 2.5 to 3 hours

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]wouldnt want it. Typing on a touchscreen is just horrible, Physical keys are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier to use.[/citation]
Look at it from the other side of the hill, those people with non-existent to lackluster typing skills now have an excuse as they cant feel they keys

Status
Not open for further replies.