Check Point: Malware Pre-Installed On Some Android Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitsinu

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017
They are going to have to put security seals on phones the way they do for other products. In fact, I can't think of a reason why they haven't been doing that already.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
seems samsung has some issues with their supply chain as many of their popular phones are infected.

Lenovo does not surprise me and considering their use of malware on their pc's and laptops, they probably installed it themselves.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

it's a good idea but often the stock rom is not available for newer phones and it can be beyond the novice user to do such a thing.

jackweinmann

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
...so then how does one rectify this? I don't mean industry wide, I mean individually, how does one who is concerned that their phone might be compromised make sure there is nothing on their phone?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
flash a stock rom for the phone. that's how to remove it. you should be able to go to the phone's product page and get links to the stock rom and instructions of how to flash it.

if not, sites like xda forums https://forum.xda-developers.com/ or androidforums.com is a good source for roms as well.

Shadowspawn13

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
Isn't there a security app to download to remove it? Like if you have an older phone that you think has been compromised?

mrmez

Splendid
Hilarious. Buy a new phone and then you need to start updating roms.

If you bought a new car and had to tow it home and replace the gearbox, you'd be P!$$ED!!
You'd call that car a POS and want to burn it to the ground, yet this seems to e totally acceptable when it comes to electronics.

For many people that's probably easier than installing a new rom.

David KF

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
My Nexus Pegasus ASUS Pegasus 2 Plus X550 came with 2 trojans in ROM area: fqad (SystemFQAD) and search (QuickSearchBox). Tiny deal sent me a link of rom in xda developers and filtered my neutral 3 stars review.

Finally I rooted the phone and removed the trojans and made the phone great again.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it is amusing that what we hear about iphones is "gov wants n and apple says no". notice you don't hear that about android?? it's cause the gov can get into any and all android phones with no effort at all. they don't have to ask for help cause it's easy to do.

they all come with a very invasive surveillance software installed. the gov thanks you for using it and they did not even have to conspire to sneak it onto the phones. we welcomed it with open arms and gush about how "useful" it is. i am of course speaking of siri/cortana/alexa........ the gov is very grateful you're willing to let your mic be on 24/7 for anyone to listen to whenever they feel like it. they really appreciate you putting on in your house as well so they can really keep an eye on things for you.

Jaydx31

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Can i get a way to flash clean official STOCK ANDROID Roms by Google safely ??? . . . A link would be great . Yeah data theft is what this phone manufacturing all abt thesedays .

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
every phone is different. you have to look for rom's for your phone and instructions for how to get it onto that phone. above i linked the 2 main forums where such things can be found. XDA is where the actual developers hang out and work together. great place to find custom roms.

often as i already noted, you can get a factory rom from the company that makes the phone form the product page of that phone. like drivers and such, usually found under "support" pages. you're gonna have to do some searching on one of these sources but you'll likely find a rom you can use. it's specific to your phone so you have to look only for that model to get a rom that works. instructions will be wherever you find the rom.

Jaydx31

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Wonderful to see a reply, Thanks . I know abt XDA . Flashed many ROMS starting from Galaxy y & then other devices .

I'm asking for a way to flash Google released Android ver. On any device . Is there a way to do that ??? Guess manufacturers change signatures or something . . . But anyway !!??

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ok i see what your asking. i believe google puts out android version but it has to be customized for each phone. it is mostly drivers for the various features as far as i know. don't think there is a generic untouched rom you can use.

dE_logics

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015
"You might open an infected attachment, visit a malicious website"

If you're infected because of these, it's because of vulnerabilities.

I'm never buying phones from these manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.