Checking which component is fried

pychotos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
I need help which component should i plug first into my new psu. Because my previous psu spark and i would like to check which parts are wasted or not. Additionally what result should i get if its working for each component i plugged.

Solution
First i would remove every component from motherboard even the CPU and start up the motherboard with a CPU fan to check if the motherboard is fine, then i would put CPU w/ heatsink and one ram and see if it works if it has onboard GPU if not plug GPU then, if it works, plug rest back one by one and if everything passes then it seems fine, if you get stuck with no picture and etc. then that component probably died.
Which new psu is it?
Also post system specs.
First i would remove every component from motherboard even the CPU and start up the motherboard with a CPU fan to check if the motherboard is fine, then i would put CPU w/ heatsink and one ram and see if it works if it has onboard GPU if not plug GPU then, if it works, plug rest back one by one and if everything passes then it seems fine, if you get stuck with no picture and etc. then that component probably died.
Which new psu is it?
Also post system specs.

Solution

pychotos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015

Should i put the cpu and mobo at the same time ? Or its a no no ?

pychotos

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
This is my pc specs::
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz
Ram: Hyper x Fury 8gb ddr3 1866mhz
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Rx 560 2gb
PSU: Corsair VS550
MOBO: Gigabyte H81M-DS2

I replaced my psu with a temporary deep cool de-500

Sadly I dont know how to remove a cpu and the fan around it. can i leave it there or a damaged motherboard can damage it if i plug it at the same time ?

I would leave the cpu in the socket.
Re inserting the cpu always carries the risk of damaging one of the socket pins and bricking your motherboars.
The socket is designed for only up to 15 insertions.

It is unlikely that any other parts were damaged.
Corsair VS is not highly regarded for reliability, but it should not be dangerous.

I would simply replace the psu with a good quality replacement.

I mention that limit only so that one should not re insert the processor without a good reason.