News Cherry Intros MX2A Mechanical Switches, Rated for 100 Million Actuations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charogne

Prominent
Apr 25, 2022
100 millions activation, or pressing the switch every 3 seconds for the next 10 years. how useful is it to know how many times at that level?

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
All these improvements except for the lubricated spring are supposed to have been part of the standard MX1A/MX3A production line since November 2019 according to the previous entry on their blog.

It is unclear whether the Cherry logo is upside-down in the new revision. They are in one of these promotion-images, but not in the datasheets on cherrymx.de.
If they were, then that could have been a tell to distinguish these from the previous revisions.

("MX3A" are the previous "Silent" switches. The new "Silent Red" switch is in the MX2A series)

Last edited:

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I still think the "Halls Effect" switches that SteelSeries market as "OmniPoint" are some of my favorite.

That programmability is really nice in terms of how deep do you want the activation.

It's either "Halls Effect" or "Optical" Switches are the ones that really impress me.

I'm somewhat surprised that Cherry hasn't made a competitor to the Lekker switches that are used by Wooting for their keyboards. Those were custom designed by Gateron and Wooting, but it should be possible to make something similar though from my understanding the Hall Effect aspect does require a specific keyboard design so perhaps that is why.

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
I still think the "Halls Effect" switches that SteelSeries market as "OmniPoint" are some of my favorite.

That programmability is really nice in terms of how deep do you want the activation.

It's either "Halls Effect" or "Optical" Switches are the ones that really impress me.
Years ago, between 1978 and 1984, my dad serviced an installation where Cherry Hall Effect keyboards were used. Periodically someone would spill coffee with cream and sugar on a keyboard. A few weeks later when it got nice and crusty and moldy they would call him to fix the 'bad keyboard'. He would disassemble the keyboard matrix from the electronics, run it through the dishwasher at home, then reinstall the keyboard which was good as new.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017

They're only nice if you like soft switches in my opinion.

While I don't mind soft-ish, I have a hard limit and Brown is on the low end, those are softer so quite a no, even with the modified activation location.

To be honest I rather like the Green switches and ones that hard are no longer popular it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.