Cherry's New Wireless Keyboard And Mouse Combo Has 128-Bit AES Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

skythra

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Most wireless keyboards (Like logitech and microsoft) use encryption. In fact, if they didn't, people would just log your keystrokes directly with a wireless receiver. This isn't even news.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Well, at the very least, the MS Wireless Desktop has 128-bit AES encryption.
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/wireless-desktop-2000
"Unlike standard keyboards, this one features Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)..." I don't know if:
1) If by "standard" they mean wireless or wired.
2) If their own "standard keyboards," assuming that they're wireless, don't have encryption.

The Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 800 makes no mention of encryption at all in its "technical spec sheet", so I can't comment on that.

I'm a bit pressed for time so I only checked the MS keyboards because I really love their Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. I recall reading an article a good few years ago that MS keyboards used to use a simple XOR to "encrypt" their data. However, I wouldn't put it past other manufacturers (like the aforementioned Logitech) to do such silly insecure things on their cheap units too.

livinindaghetto

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
"How important to people is having a wireless keyboard? It just sits on your desk anyway... "

I don't know about you but I would rather not have a 30 foot cable running from my media PC to the couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.