News Chia Cryptomining Causes 500% Increase In Adata High-Capacity SSD Sales

InvalidError

Titan
This is going to be a fun one, especially on the warranty side of the equation. I wonder how courts will square minimum legal warranties in countries with strong consumer protection against the kind of abuse consumer SSDs are about to get subjected to.

Reactions: Krotow
No disrespect, just curious, but what's wrong with ADATA SSDs? From the sound of your comment I'm probably missing something serious

Most ADATA SSDs are inferior ones with tendency to die young. They aren't worth resources wasted on their making. Speaking of which Chia "miners" would free the world from Kingston A400 stockpiles as well.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
No disrespect, just curious, but what's wrong with ADATA SSDs? From the sound of your comment I'm probably missing something serious

In addition to what's already been said, I believe ADATA was also one of the companies found to have been swapping out critical parts on their SSDs for cheaper, inferior versions after they've already been released and benchmarked, but keeping the price and SKU the same without telling customers.

Allow me to introduce you to the next big thing in crypto: Auralcoin! You mine it with sound cards! /s

That indeed would kickstart this nearly dead peripherial niche. Also someone should figure out how to mine in ages old calculators, electronic watches, car media centers etc. The crème de la crème in "mining" would be figuring out how to mine with abacus.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Most ADATA SSDs are inferior ones with tendency to die young. They aren't worth resources wasted on their making. Speaking of which Chia "miners" would free the world from Kingston A400 stockpiles as well.
In addition to what's already been said, I believe ADATA was also one of the companies found to have been swapping out critical parts on their SSDs for cheaper, inferior versions after they've already been released and benchmarked, but keeping the price and SKU the same without telling customers.
Anecdotal evidence from in here, but they seem to be overrepresented in fails.

And the above mentioned parts switch.

Given all the other options, I certainly wouldn't buy one.

I see. For an average computer user like me who don't know much about lifespan here, TBW written there, Phison controllers over here, and all the yadda yadda about SSDs, they all look the same for me including the ADATA. That's quite an eye opener.

Have only bought one of them, a 128 GB SU650 that I never used due to reasons, but I guess I'm staying away from them now.

I am sooooo god dam tired of reading and hearing about cryptominig that I wanna puke.
Me too. I'm tired of hearing how all the stupid people with money keep falling for these scams.

The real purpose of these scams is what people are missing--who is going to benefit from a strong spike in demand in storage? One country--china. Who made this scam? china. And no one will be benefitting more. Nice timing too since I'm sure china's exports have hurt because of their other export--covid. The best way to stay out of harms way is to stay away from people who harm...

This is known as bait and switch--a common tactic in asia that apparently works on dummies in the west too.

This is why the cheap crap that is imported in should never be taken seriously--because they are shady to the core and do not have a drop of integrity--much like their creators. Just say no. Buy the real thing and even better buy things made domestically to avoid giving the evil powers any more power.

Reactions: Krotow