News China-Based Zhaoxin Targets 2021 for 7nm CPUs With PCIe 4.0, DDR5 Support

Aug 29, 2019
I am curious this is the same china chip that AMD gave technology to. I am curious if this has connection to recent tariffs. Something smells really dirty.

It is Chinese. It will probably be inferior and they will just lie and say it is superior. Like they do with their military hardware, and cars, and other electronics, and dog food. I am surprised they are going to be working with TSMC though. China and Taiwan don't exactly see eye to eye on much. I guess business brings the world together... in the name of profit and beating America.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am curious this is the same china chip that AMD gave technology to.
No, it's based on a home-grown microarchitecture.

AMD also said they took precautions to prevent theft of their IP, though I'm not sure if details were ever released on specifically what that entailed.

I am curious if this has connection to recent tariffs. Something smells really dirty.
The tariffs only accelerated what China was already working towards.

The dirty part would be if it has a "secure boot" feature, like modern x86 CPUs, and if The Party is the one who owns and controls the keys to sign each OS release. Then, they could simply refuse to sign any image that didn't have their government-mandated back doors. It's one thing, if they want to sell those systems to their own people, but don't think for even a minute they won't be exporting these and "dumping" them on the rest of the world.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It is Chinese. It will probably be inferior and they will just lie and say it is superior. Like they do with their military hardware, and cars, and other electronics, and dog food.
...for a while. But they'll eventually catch up. Just like Japan, then Korea, and even Taiwan did.

I am surprised they are going to be working with TSMC though.
Nothing special, here. China has been fabbing stuff on TSMC, for a long time. On the flip side, most Taiwanese electronics (motherboard, video cards, monitors, etc.) are actually manufactured in mainland China.

China and Taiwan don't exactly see eye to eye on much. I guess business brings the world together... in the name of profit and beating America.
Wow, way to throw Taiwan under the bus. Taiwan can't afford to lock out China. That doesn't mean they're doing anything other than trying to keep their economy afloat. Would you say that the US doing manufacturing in mainland China is in the name of beating Taiwan?

Before you vilify them, consider it's the US who officially de-recognized Taiwan, in the late 1970s! China is like 50x their size, and they don't have tens of thousands of US troops stationed there, like South Korea and Japan do, yet China is just like 100 miles off their coast. Just how high a price should Taiwan pay, just to flip China the bird? Because even if they did, it wouldn't be much more than a speed bump for China.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
...for a while. But they'll eventually catch up. Just like Japan, then Korea, and even Taiwan did.
Oh I 100% agree that eventually they will get there, and once they do they will probably become a fearsome competitor on the world stage, but lets be honest, it is still at LEAST 5-10 years off, and a lot of it has come on the back of blatant theft of other countries technology and intellectual property.

Wow, way to throw Taiwan under the bus. Taiwan can't afford to lock out China. That doesn't mean they're doing anything other than trying to keep their economy afloat. Would you say that the US doing manufacturing in mainland China is in the name of beating Taiwan?
I wan't implying that Taiwan is doing things in the name of beating America. The CCP has openly stated that they are in an unrestricted war with the US. They REALLY want to beat us in any and every way they can. I know all of China doesn't share that sentiment, but the people don't run China, the CCP does.

China is just like 100 miles off their coast. Just how high a price should Taiwan pay, just to flip China the bird? Because even if they did, it wouldn't be much more than a speed bump for China.
There are a lot of reasons China hasn't reintegrated Taiwan, and international pressure isn't even the top reason. Don't get me wrong, Taiwan has a lot to fear from China, but most of Taiwan's success and wealth comes from dealing with the west, not China. As for China doing business with Taiwan, it makes sense, I just figured China would try to grow their semiconductor industry by working with their own companies. After all, nothing says reducing foreign dependency like going outside your country to have your things made... of course China still thinks Taiwan is China, so they probably see it differently.

Geef

Distinguished
Two things.

They will by default have something so Chinese government can take over the computer.

They most likely stole the technology they didn't get for free elsewhere.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
As for China doing business with Taiwan, it makes sense, I just figured China would try to grow their semiconductor industry by working with their own companies. After all, nothing says reducing foreign dependency like going outside your country to have your things made...
China is building & expanding its own domestic fabs, but they're still a couple generations behind. China has decided to switch to its own computer hardware designs, without waiting for its fabs to catch up, and they understandably don't want to take huge leaps backwards in compute capability, in the meantime.

That's how I read it, anyhow. You also have a point that it probably makes a difference whether they fabbed in Taiwan vs. South Korea. They probably figure they'll eventually take control of Taiwan, so it's no big deal if they have to use its fabs for the time being - it's still sort of indigenous.