News China Chipmaker SMIC's 7nm Process Is Reportedly Copied From TSMC Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
The unfortunate truth is that it is everyone for themselves out there. In this case, US have been claiming that Huawei's 5G is used to spy on others, when US was lagging behind in 5G development back then. Yet to date, they are not not able to conclusively say (with evidence) that the spying rumor is true, while still applying sanctions on China and Huawei. And I don't believe US is not spying anyone else as well, which Edward Snowden can attest.
At the end of the day, if US don't play fairly, they should not expect people to play by their rules is my opinion.

blargh4

Prominent
Jun 9, 2022
I hope TSMC sues and wins against SMIC. Only low morality people would think it is okay for SMIC to do this. Economic sanctions and export restrictions are legal, patent infringement is not.
What is the "legal rationale" for the US government browbeating a Dutch tech company into not selling their products to the US's economic rivals? Who decides and arbitrates the legality of these unilateral international sanctions?

....oh, the US, i see

Last edited:
Good for them.

The US is going to use every dirty trick in the book to suppress China's technological and economic development, so why on earth should they play by the "rules"?

Maybe because China hasn't played by the rules in years. Thus, the United States had many reports from businesses that got their information stolen, and the U.S. got tired of all the intellectual theft, and started doing something about it.

Look at all the attempts (Over 100 times) the Chinese have used to try to copy/steal the F-16 turbine. The Chinese admit they have stolen the F-35 tech.

Years ago, a good friend of mine was contracted through his company to a Chinese company to develop wind turbine technology. The software was property of his company, and they sent him to China to help integrate the software to their turbines. About 2/3 of the way through the development, the Chinese company cancelled the contract, and sent my friend home, with no explanation. About 2 years later, my friend got a phone call to fix the software in a turbine. He showed up to the site, and there was his company's software, in use on a Chinese wind turbine. Come to find out, the Chinese had stolen the software, and marketed it as their own, with their turbines. The Chinese did not develop it. They stole it, and marketed it all over the earth.

I could go on and on.

Intellectual theft, industrial espionage, and military espionage are real. China is one of the best at doing it. It doesn't make it right.

Jul 7, 2022
What is the "legal rationale" for the US government browbeating a Dutch tech company into not selling their products to the US's economic rivals? Who decides and arbitrates the legality of these unilateral international sanctions?

....oh, the US, i see

Because the patents for both the method of creating EUV light and the use of EUV light in the propagation of silicon features on silicon wafers were R & D’ed and owned by both EUV LLC (a consortium of US tech companies) and the US Virtual National Laboratory. The only thing ASML holds a patent to is the end user devices they create and they were given permission to integrate EUV in their products. So yes, the US can and has declared EUV to be a sensitive technology and has the legal power to restrict the export to China any ASML device that uses tech derived from the US EUV patents.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013

....oh, the US, i see
So you don't like respecting Intellectual Property and Enforcement of it.

More typical Anti-US BS.

I'm surprised you shill for China that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.