China Opens World's Longest High-Speed Rail Line

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
How does it hurt US citizens to use the older system when converters are widely available in the event they need them? That's a real question...my coffee hasn't quite infiltrated yet this AM.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Lets just say that China made a rail line that reduces the amount of time to travel from one distant place to another by making a train that accelerates to 186MPH, using either electric motors and gears or the maglev system.

Compared to normal trains that travel at 50-100MPH.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Who cares about Canada? (aside from you/Canadians)The reason Toms should use the metric system is that the modern world uses the metric system, not because of Canada. The USA uses an ancient system that should have been scrapped a long time ago.Now I need to rant at Google. I typed "186 mph in kmph" and Google returned "did you mean 186 mph in kph"? Umm excuse me Google, are you stupid? kph? What the hell is that? Kilo's per hour? Last I checked, the symbol for kilometers was km. Use kmph you foolish Google.[/citation]
Maybe you should've tried searching for mph to km/h - the official unit symbol.

neblogai

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jay_nar2012[/nom]186 MPH =299 KMH 1,428 miles = 2,298 kilometers.1 mile = 1.6 km.[/citation]

It is obvious that original article had metric units.

MisterZ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
You haven't taken into consideration the traveling to and from airports.

Yes, I have taken that into consideration, because you have to travel to and from a train station as well. You think the train takes you to your front door?

G

Maybe you should care about the Canadians, those are Canadian trains they're talking of :)

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]correct me if im wrong, but china hired a japanese firm to help plan and build it, fired them, stole the designs, than made it themselves, when it crashed, they buried it in a mass grave...i have to say with that track record i would never get in a moving train in china.[/citation]
Yes they blatantly stole the design of the trains from Japan and claimed the Chinese came up with the designs.
They also had a deadly train crash on their non high speed rail systems that same year I believe.
No high tech company should ever invest in Chinese infrastructure unless there is a fool proof way that your designs won't be counterfeited and rebranded as Chinese.
They even have the audacity to market their new bullet trains to the world now and are trying to offer a cheaper high speed rail system to overseas markets....

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]What? you couldn't give us metric considering that you guys KNOW that a large chunk of us are canadian? Come on toms. No canadian contests and this, we want our own canadian site.[/citation]

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/
Just saying.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]jay_nar2012[/nom]Lets just say that China made a rail line that reduces the amount of time to travel from one distant place to another by making a train that accelerates to 186MPH, using either electric motors and gears or the maglev system.Compared to normal trains that travel at 50-100MPH.[/citation]

Name me a train in service today that doesn't use electric motors. With the exception of touristic attraction steam engines and perhaps the rare short line operator diesel, all trains use electric motors.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]Name me a train in service today that doesn't use electric motors. With the exception of touristic attraction steam engines and perhaps the rare short line operator diesel, all trains use electric motors.[/citation]

Diesel locomotives don't use electric motors.

phillipw

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
"Diesel locomotives don't use electric motors."

Sure they do. The diesel engine is used to turn HUGE generators (alternators) to power the elecric motors they use. Most...if not all modern diesel locomotives, are hybrids.

G

It's going to provide probably another $1 trillion each year to the domestic Chinese economy without having to grow exports to get there. Practically a first. With car commuting times increasing in the US and ridiculous luggage fees at the airports a high speed train network is a definite investment in the future growth.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]What? you couldn't give us metric considering that you guys KNOW that a large chunk of us are canadian? Come on toms. No canadian contests and this, we want our own canadian site.[/citation]

Then become an entrepreneur and create one. Why is it up to United States' companies to cater to Canadians? It's bad enough we fight terrorism for you, now you want us to make your websites too?

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]Who cares about Canada? (aside from you/Canadians)The reason Toms should use the metric system is that the modern world uses the metric system, not because of Canada. The USA uses an ancient system that should have been scrapped a long time ago.Now I need to rant at Google. I typed "186 mph in kmph" and Google returned "did you mean 186 mph in kph"? Umm excuse me Google, are you stupid? kph? What the hell is that? Kilo's per hour? Last I checked, the symbol for kilometers was km. Use kmph you foolish Google.[/citation]
Even with your little idiotic insult, I have to admit you are right about the KPH thing... It is either KMPH or KM/H, but most of people use KM/H since KMPH can be confused as "1000 MPH".
Props on this, but please don't insult a whole race like that... I'm Canadian.
-Bloc97

chewbie

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
try km/h genius

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]...i have to say with that track record i would never get in a moving train in china.[/citation]
I would never get in a moving train anywhere. I wait for them to stop before I get in. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.