News China Pumps $2.2B Into Local Chipmaker After US Takes TSMC From Huawei

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what people say, this is making China more independent of the west, eventually making it further more powerful.

Well then good for them. It also makes us more independent of their untrustworthy tails. It's time they stopped feeding off our teet, while stabbing us in the back at the same time. China was NEVER our friend. They like most communist countries are an Oligarchy. That's where a few at the top benefit because they set the rules, while everyone at the bottom suffers from said oppressive rules.

What we have is a mutually beneficial relationship where China insist on becoming more and more aggressive over time. That beneficial relationship is waning because their government and industry don't like to play fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: gg83

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
This will surely slow China down technologically, but may also increase the cyber attacks from them to gain access to information of technology IPs. I am sure China will get better over time with government backing and funding, but in the mean time, this is going to be a big problem. The money that is being pumped to SMIC will not immediately be useful since they may be lacking the expertise at this point and will take years of trial and error and learning before the investment can see any tangible benefits.

Reactions: gg83
This will surely slow China down technologically, but may also increase the cyber attacks from them to gain access to information of technology IPs. I am sure China will get better over time with government backing and funding, but in the mean time, this is going to be a big problem. The money that is being pumped to SMIC will not immediately be useful since they may be lacking the expertise at this point and will take years of trial and error and learning before the investment can see any tangible benefits.

Do you give a child an ice cream cone to silence them when they throw a tantrum? What will that teach them?

So what if they up the cyber attacks? They would steal everything now if they could.

What you are suggesting is to give them the ice cream cone to make them behave a little better out of fear of a tantrum. But the truth is they won't change. North Korea and Iran both do this. They don't change. They have their own agenda, no matter what.

Why do you think China sent diplomats to Africa to spread disinformation about the USA? (They told Africa we invented AID's to get rid of Africans) No it was to gain an unfair advantage to African resources. Why do you think theres a massive disinformation campaign now to make their own people and other parts of the world think the USA was responsible for coronavirus? It's all cat and mouse.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020
Thanks to US and their enormous greed China is now tech power and this will make them stronger and more independent.
BTW, China can put US on knees without much problem. Do not forget 90% of world production is in China. China owns 1.2+ trillions of US debt (as Japan). Learn from Covid when China sent supplies to EU and US! Months later not much changed in US, EU.

Reactions: nzblg and King_V

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Well then good for them. It also makes us more independent of their untrustworthy tails. It's time they stopped feeding off our teet, while stabbing us in the back at the same time. China was NEVER our friend. They like most communist countries are an Oligarchy. That's where a few at the top benefit because they set the rules, while everyone at the bottom suffers from said oppressive rules.

What we have is a mutually beneficial relationship where China insist on becoming more and more aggressive over time. That beneficial relationship is waning because their government and industry don't like to play fair.

Meh USA is not a friend to any one on the globe , They even hurt their allies . the only one aggressive here is USA and the whole world is witnessing. more over the Arrogance of US people is glowing left and right. self rightous feelings right ? get lost.l

Reactions: nzblg

BigD1

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Thanks to US and their enormous greed China is now tech power and this will make them stronger and more independent.
BTW, China can put US on knees without much problem. Do not forget 90% of world production is in China. China owns 1.2+ trillions of US debt (as Japan). Learn from Covid when China sent supplies to EU and US! Months later not much changed in US, EU.

LOL! China sent fake masks too! Look it up.

BigD1

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
Meh USA is not a friend to any one on the globe , They even hurt their allies . the only one aggressive here is USA and the whole world is witnessing. more over the Arrogance of US people is glowing left and right. self rightous feelings right ? get lost.l

Stick gun to head and pull trigger.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Finally the US is starting to take steps to cut ties with China - unfortunately, about 20 years too late.
The US has no one to blame but themselves. The US sold its technical leadership to China in exchange for Chinese slave labor.

In my humble opinion, the US should have the same relationship with Iran, North Korea and China.

The US has no choice but to completely cut off all interaction with China - to the most extreme extent possible. The world's future depends on the US doing that.

In my humble opinion, the US should replace their arrangements with China with new arrangements with Mexico and Canada.

Last edited:

Don Frenser

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020

You are correct. More and more people start to seriously dislike the US.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Do you give a child an ice cream cone to silence them when they throw a tantrum? What will that teach them?

So what if they up the cyber attacks? They would steal everything now if they could.

What you are suggesting is to give them the ice cream cone to make them behave a little better out of fear of a tantrum.

Uhh, nowhere in his post did he even once say anything along what you're saying that he said. He's just pointing out a potential possibility of what may or may not occur. Not that a specific action should be taken or not taken to prevent said possibilities.

All are thiefs stop pretending US of A never stolen other countries Technologies... The major Spying happens from USA spying on every windows run PC in the Globe ... this includes spying on the industry and research of every company on the planet.

Not that I'm excusing the conduct of US intelligence or defending them, but pretty much every nation in the world spies on one another. Acting like the US is the sole perpetrator in doing so is incredibly naive. Again, I'm not saying that makes it okay "because everyone else is doing it", but everyone else is indeed doing it.

So protecting our country from Huawei, whom engages in active acts of industrial sabotage, whom bypass trade restrictions with terrorist nations and works with the Chinese government to stick back doors into the 5G equipment is us being aggressive....okay then. Call us aggressive if you want for refusing to get screwed over.

I'll happily provide all the articles you want from news sources.

I don't blame the people. I blame the corrupt government.

BTW: Hey how's that human rights record doing in China?

Last edited:

vladabuba

Reputable
May 19, 2018
Was wondering. How much this has anything to do with Chinese trying to build their own x86_64 compatible platform?

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

What you are suggesting is to give them the ice cream cone to make them behave a little better out of fear of a tantrum. But the truth is they won't change. North Korea and Iran both do this. They don't change. They have their own agenda, no matter what.

Why do you think China sent diplomats to Africa to spread disinformation about the USA? (They told Africa we invented AID's to get rid of Africans) No it was to gain an unfair advantage to African resources. Why do you think theres a massive disinformation campaign now to make their own people and other parts of the world think the USA was responsible for coronavirus? It's all cat and mouse.

I don't know if you are reading it wrong, or I don't quite understand. Nowhere did I mentioned anything about what you are describing in your analogy of giving ice cream to a child throwing tandrum. I merely stated that this will have a big repurcussion to China for now, which is certainly the fact.

And yes, they will certainly steal everything if they could now. But not being able to steal it now, doesn't mean they will stop trying. To be honest, it is not about whether a breach will happen, but rather when it will happen if you are that connect online.

I don't know if you are reading it wrong, or I don't quite understand. Nowhere did I mentioned anything about what you are describing in your analogy of giving ice cream to a child throwing tandrum. I merely stated that this will have a big repurcussion to China for now, which is certainly the fact.

And yes, they will certainly steal everything if they could now. But not being able to steal it now, doesn't mean they will stop trying. To be honest, it is not about whether a breach will happen, but rather when it will happen if you are that connect online.

My apologies. I inferred that you were suggesting we would have to appease China to avoid upped cyber attacks. That was my mistake.

Was wondering. How much this has anything to do with Chinese trying to build their own x86_64 compatible platform?

China has a "China Independence" policy where they want to be as independent of other countries as possible. This includes relying on outside technology like Windows and x86 (AMD/Intel) The Chinese gov't wants to control all points from A->Z when it comes to information exchange. (Not that I don't blame them there. It's a rather trivial task to hide backdoors inside hardware.)

They also have a policy of gov't subsidizing certain industry, even if that industry runs at a loss, in the hopes it will invite outside countries to use their facilities. China for years has DUMPED steel in a predatory manner where it cost them more to make it than what they sell it at. The objective here is similar to how Saudi Arabia dumped oil once Fracking started taking off. They undersell to prevent outside countries from gaining independence. It's predatory. As steel is a critical material for heavy industry and defense, you could really cripple a country if you shut off their supply.

China for example has threatened to cut off our supply of antibiotics if we didn't shut our yap about their irresponsibility with COVID 19. They also banned all meat imports from Australia because Australia wanted to send in an independent team of investigators to determine the truth about the health crisis in China.

This also plays out in high tech in a much worse way: This way outside companies come in and supply their products and tech because of the cheap prices, then a lot of companies and gov't steal that tech and make their own versions of it. Minimal investment on their part. How much do you think China learned from other companies whom are outsourcing to companies like Huawei? It also becomes an opportunity to insert backdoors into common products. ie: IP Sec Cameras.

No one really thinks of these things when they operate on a bean counter basis and think only of ROI. But hey it's great for stock prices.

Last edited:

vladabuba

Reputable
May 19, 2018
The Chinese gov't wants to control all points from A->Z when it comes to information exchange.

You got point there. What I do not like is how they use open global communications and information sharing on Internet to build knowledge and know-how, but then close off to provide their knowledge back to world. It's kind of leeching and hypocritical from their side. They just project force and aggression when you ask them about their practices. Because in their core, that's what they are not capable off addressing. If you remove that from them, all house goes down crumbling.
That's why I think they can not be true world leader like US. They do not provide universal wisdom, culture, openness, leadership and vision that most of us can eagerly follow and identify with.

"You can threaten and bully me, but my resentment of you then just get bigger and bigger"

China for years has DUMPED steel in a predatory manner where it cost them more to make it than what they sell it at. The objective here is similar to how Saudi Arabia dumped oil once Fracking started taking off.

Yes, this is how they work. Other governments in the past history had done that too, all clear...

It also becomes an opportunity to insert backdoors into common products. ie: IP Sec Cameras.

Now I got it why are network routers (built by Huawei) so sensitive part of Internet infrastructure... They can "sniff" not only on cameras, but on any type of data. Including emails, chat, skype, bank transactions... ideal way to see what people are doing and to exploit that knowledge to your benefit.

No one really thinks of these things when they operate on a bean counter basis and think only of ROI. But hey it's great for stock prices.

Well that can not go like that forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.