News China's Premiere Chipmaker Accelerates to 7nm CPU Design Despite US Sanctions

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
I see we're still parroting incorrect information about the 3A6000 having IPC competitive with Zen 3. The previous article you linked to incorrectly calls a Ryzen 3 3100 as a Zen 3 part when it's actually Zen 2. Even the Mydrivers review you pulled from says it's competitive with Zen 2.

Basically this new CPU will likely end up somewhere between Zen 3/10th gen and Zen 4/13th gen if we take 20% - 30% improvement at face value. Probably closer to the former.

HaninTH

Proper
Oct 3, 2023
I see we're still parroting incorrect information about the 3A6000 having IPC competitive with Zen 3. The previous article you linked to incorrectly calls a Ryzen 3 3100 as a Zen 3 part when it's actually Zen 2. Even the Mydrivers review you pulled from says it's competitive with Zen 2.

Basically this new CPU will likely end up somewhere between Zen 3/10th gen and Zen 4/13th gen if we take 20% - 30% improvement at face value. Probably closer to the former.
Does this mean their per-core performance is on par with Zen2? At what task(s)? How does the CPU hold up under a typical and high-end desktop load? What peripheral interfaces does it support?

The talk of these chips rarely give good details and their comparisons always seem heavily slanted.

Competition, from where ever it comes, is always greatly appreciated by the end-user/customer. I just hope these chips aren't riddled with more backdoors and flaws than the Intel and AMD flavors.

Oct 5, 2023
So a few things that I've heard from some other analysts. These new 7nm Chinese chips cost China 5x more to develop and the manufacturing process is inefficient. The Huawei phones with their 7nm are constantly suffering from supply issues and are not very common. What does this tell you? Demand can't meet supply? Or that the means of mass production is very limited.. you can make a lot of high tech stuff in a lab but mass production is a challenging next step. As one analyst put it this is mostly ego so China can claim it beat sanctions and is advancing ever closer to US technology. I guess time will tell.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Does this mean their per-core performance is on par with Zen2? At what task(s)? How does the CPU hold up under a typical and high-end desktop load? What peripheral interfaces does it support?

The talk of these chips rarely give good details and their comparisons always seem heavily slanted.

Competition, from where ever it comes, is always greatly appreciated by the end-user/customer. I just hope these chips aren't riddled with more backdoors and flaws than the Intel and AMD flavors.

They ran SPEC CPU 2006 and Unixbench. The 3A6000 was performing slightly worse than the Ryzen 3 3100 and the 10100F. I haven't seen any power/efficiency numbers.

Also I reread the article from Tom's and Mydrivers. The claim for IPC competitive with Zen 3 isn't wrong, but speculative at best. The 3A6000 is only clocked at 2.5 GHZ so I see where the claim was extrapolated from now. Increases in clock speed don't linearly scale with performance. In certain tasks it will, others not. Just depends on how CPU dependent the task is.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

anonymousdude

Distinguished
So a few things that I've heard from some other analysts. These new 7nm Chinese chips cost China 5x more to develop and the manufacturing process is inefficient. The Huawei phones with their 7nm are constantly suffering from supply issues and are not very common. What does this tell you? Demand can't meet supply? Or that the means of mass production is very limited.. you can make a lot of high tech stuff in a lab but mass production is a challenging next step. As one analyst put it this is mostly ego so China can claim it beat sanctions and is advancing ever closer to US technology. I guess time will tell.

I haven't seen the 5x cost numbers before. Care to drop a link to these analysts? It definitely cost more to make since they have to implement multipatterning. Yields are likely still poor, which is expected. Basically all the same problems TSMC, Intel, and Samsung had to work through.

nookoool

Prominent
Oct 5, 2022

I am no expert, but I can only guess that early 7nm tsmc chips cost a multiple more to produce and suffer low yield compare to 1,2,3,4 years latter.

Reactions: Order 66
Status
Not open for further replies.