News Chinese company claims chipmaking tool breakthrough — announces 28nm-capable litho tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivan_vy

Commendable
Apr 22, 2022
"the company changed its post and removed any mentions of the 28nm-capable tool"
did they lie? maybe, need to cater to investors (including funding from government)
will they produce the tech and volume required? yes, eventually.
The race now is in the stage for getting money from investors, so the other article about thousands of companies popping here and dying in weeks are for this reason
rebadging, bogus announcements and larger than life promises will continue but also the tech developed from others companies.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin
"the company changed its post and removed any mentions of the 28nm-capable tool"
did they lie? maybe, need to cater to investors (including funding from government)
will they produce the tech and volume required? yes, eventually.
The race now is in the stage for getting money from investors, so the other article about thousands of companies popping here and dying in weeks are for this reason
rebadging, bogus announcements and larger than life promises will continue but also the tech developed from others companies.
Yeah I'm curious about that post change/removal.

Reactions: ivan_vy

phead128

Great
Nov 2, 2023
Yeah I'm curious about that post change/removal.
The target audience is the Chinese semiconductor fabs, not foreign fabs. The entire domestic industry knows about 28nm litho by word-of-mouth or sales reps, they don't need to advertise in big shiny English letters on website because foreigners are not the target audience for sale. There is only a handful of foundrys/fabs in China, they all already know. For reference, SMIC took 14nm off their website, but we know they are capable of 5nm.

Jul 7, 2022
I’m glad they mastered the argon-fluorine chemical laser based immersion lithography method that has served the west well for the last 30 years. I wonder how they will go about R&D’ing EUV as it is a completely different beast altogether. There’s no commercial EUV photon source and optical lenses are useless to the wavelength. I am also not aware of any Chinese company that specializes in defect free mirror optics with picometer level tolerances like Carl Zeiss, Nikon, etc. it’ll be interesting for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.