News Chinese CPU-Maker Zhaoxin To Introduce New Discrete GPUs

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
How many years has been since AMD can finally compete. 2006 is when the first core 2 duo were out. It is 2020 and AMD can finally say Ryzen3 is competitive enough. Well give China/Zhaoxin/VIA 14 plus years, pretty sure they can get competitive too so somwhere around 2035 or so. Even if the bootleg copy rip-off stuff from all over, if they price it cheap enough you can be sure that Intel/AMD/nVidia will have a hard time in the China market. And you can bet they will export out just like Huawei and compete in the western markets. Just like Hyundai which made cheap crap in 1986, by 2000 they were making acceptably cheap cars, and now 20 years after that they are more than competitive. Everyone should know this is the long game that being played, and China is probably more than willing to bank roll the whole operation and use this to entrench their spying capability all over the world.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I wonder if x86 will be dead by the time via/China can reach parity with the big guys. With risc-v and ARMs architecture maturing fast, it will be exciting in 10 to 15 years.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think these companies are releasing anything to appear like they don't need western IP

That is what I think too. Even if it is very slow, it seems the objective is blindly just to show that they can be independent from western technology. It is going to be a problem for China if you imagine switching from an Intel CPU to a Zhaoxin CPU.
While I agree they need to take the first step, but to truly be technologically independent without a significant regression, that may take a lot more years than their ambitious plan.

Reactions: gg83

yeeeeman

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
This is done to make China non-dependant of external technology and frankly it is a great idea. How US wants to not be dependant on China tech, then likewise, China has this right. And it will make it a reality faster than many believe.

hannibal

Distinguished
This will be cheap! That is the point. No need to complain that GPUs cost too much. You most likely can get these below $100!
Well the gpu in apu can be faster, but these will be cheaper than disgrete Nvidia, amd or Intel GPUs!
;)

artk2219

Distinguished
Drivers. With GPU's and most computer peripherals its honestly more than a question of "Is the hardware decent enough". If product x can theoretically match product y in performance, but it cant actually do it in whatever application your using because the drivers suck (or in the case of a few driver revisions in the past, brick the OS), then it doesnt matter what theoretical performance it offers. So even if they get decent enough hardware out the door, i doubt they'll have decent enough drivers for atleast a few years because they just dont have the breadth of experience that the other manufacturers do. Ten years from now though? We'll just have to wait and see.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
This will be cheap! That is the point. No need to complain that GPUs cost too much. You most likely can get these below $100!
Well the gpu in apu can be faster, but these will be cheaper than disgrete Nvidia, amd or Intel GPUs!
;)
If they can make a cpu and a discrete gpu for less than an apu from AMD/Intel, then it could work. But then AMD/Intel could just lower their prices. I think it will come down to which other countries chose to stay faithful to China or the US. And put money into R & D

Reactions: artk2219