News Chinese CPUs Now Work On Domestically-Produced Operating System

Dec 24, 2019
"backdoor for government to make sure you arent using a VPN "

^
This is exactly what's going to happen actually. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
"backdoor for government to make sure you arent using a VPN "

^
This is exactly what's going to happen actually. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole...

Well, US stuff not any better. Considering all the backdoors CIA has placed.... We really need to thank snowden for telling us....

mangaman

Honorable
These Chinese CPU probably have more security vulnerabilities than Intel's processors. But instead of fixing them, they'll probably say that they are "features".

No thanks.

boidsonly

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
Long term, China will use all the forced tech xfer/IP theft to put all the manufacturers out of business. I can't defend Intel, etc; they gave it all up in return for the fast buck.....

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Long term, China will use all the forced tech xfer/IP theft to put all the manufacturers out of business. I can't defend Intel, etc; they gave it all up in return for the fast buck.....
I'm sure Intel owes a very healthy portion of its profits from the past 15 years or so to selling into the Chinese market. They also undoubtedly benefited from lower-cost Chinese engineering workers. So, was it a fast buck, exactly? You sort of can't blame them.

Regarding IP theft, the only one really to blame for that is China.

As for forced technology transfer, I think that's probably only worth about 5 years or so. Nothing is stopping Chinese nationals from going back to China, after attending or even teaching at western universities and working in western tech companies. It's not practical to prevent that sort of thing, in a free society.

In the long term, what needs to happen is that China must be a full and willing participant in the international patent system. However, I'm afraid they'll wait until they've achieved such a level of dominance that it basically gives them license to sue everyone out of business that they haven't already driven under, through dumping.

Ironically, one of the best protections against dumping is the WTO's Trade Courts, which have now seized up because Trump won't allow any more judges to be appointed. The US has one of the best success rates (over 80% wins), in those courts. And now it's broken, because Trump thinks he can negotiate something even better. Well, that's not seeming likely.

I'm starting to think Trump won't even get us back to where we started, by the 2020 election. The Chinese know he needs a win, and they're not going to give it to him (but he'll still polish whatever turd he eventually gets, and claim it as one).

gardotd426

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
Why did you guys totally neglect the fact that this is literally Deepin OS, the Linux Distribution. Go look at the newest release trailers for the soon-to-release Deepin v20, it's the same operating system. I don't know what the hell this company did, but they didn't build their own operating system. They MAY have taken Deepin, locked it down a little bit, and called it something new, but UOS is Deepin.

EDIT: Deepin has actually just straight changed it's name to UOS. It's an open-source community-developed linux distribution. This is NOT developed by a processor company, and like I said the OS is open-source. Look it up for yourself. This is GARBAGE reporting.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/dz3ffg/deepin_uos_v20_leak/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/deepin/comments/e7qd36/what_about_uos_20_deepin_v20_did_someone_tested_it/

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Why did you guys totally neglect the fact that this is literally Deepin OS, the Linux Distribution.
I was thinking it pretty much had to be linux-based.

Anyway, here's some more info on Deepin:

And here's a forum thread that should interest/amuse some: Why trust a Chinese Distribution?

There's currently nothing about UOS in their News Feed, BTW. That suggests to me that UOS might be a fork, rather than something Deepin themselves are doing?

Reactions: mitch074