News Chinese gamers can now game on the U.S. sanction-proof GPU — RTX 4090D gets first GeForce Game Ready driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a related note, GPU sanctions are hardly the only (or even the biggest?) thing Chinese gamers & its gaming sector have to worry about, these days.
I mean this one was just a public proposal meant to gauge response and dialogue from the industry. I can't see them pushing too far seeing as just this draft caused huge waves. Even if they're implemented, I can pretty much only see positives for the actual gamers, since it would require game companies to not rely on predatory practices for revenue.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I mean this one was just a public proposal meant to gauge response and dialogue from the industry.
We'll see, but it wouldn't be the first such regulations they've created to restrict gaming.

Even if they're implemented, I can pretty much only see positives for the actual gamers, since it would require game companies to not rely on predatory practices for revenue.
Yeah, those particular regulations don't sound terribly onerous for gamers. The industry sure didn't like it, though.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin
We'll see, but it wouldn't be the first such regulations they've created to restrict gaming.

Yeah, those particular regulations don't sound terribly onerous for gamers. The industry sure didn't like it, though.
I mean I agree, its probably gonna be like the last large restrictions, where they announce pretty big changes and then everyone figures out how to bypass it and the net result is pretty small. With the end result of a very small actual change in what they want to happen with the side affect of negatively impacting the stock market.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The black market will always find a way to provide consumers with blacklisted goods.
Yes, for commodity items, but at (sometimes highly) inflated prices. When we're talking about a GPU that's already priced out of reach for most users, that puts it even further out of reach. As a result, volumes will be reduced and the sanctions will still have an effect. Whether leaky sanctions are still worthwhile depends on their purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.